The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2007 Cowan Cellars Bennett Valley Syrah Dry Stack

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2007 Cowan Cellars Bennett Valley Syrah Dry Stack

by geo t. » Thu May 07, 2009 7:27 pm

We were disappointed that our amigo Florida Jim Cowan couldn’t make this year’s Rednecks & Red Rhones event, but we were very geeked that he sent a sample of his unreleased Syrah. Jim has followed on the heels of that Rodney Dangerfield of New Wave California winemakers, Russell Bevan, and here is our first impression of how he’s doing.

2007 Cowan Cellars Bennett Valley Syrah Dry Stack Vineyard, 13.9% alc.: This wine is pretty in every way, from the dark color to the nose and right on through the flavors. Polished and floral, it exudes a lovely perfume of rich sweet plum and violet that follows through so nicely on the palate; BEB added impressions of brown sugar and blackberries. Smooth, balanced and elegant, it shows no rough edges or bumps in the road, although a few thought it showed a little heat. Steve South opined that this “is like walking through a field of perfectly manicured violets.”

-From Rednecks & Red Rhones 2009 or Edwards Got Wrecked & So Did I

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: TN: 2007 Cowan Cellars Bennett Valley Syrah Dry Stack

by Jon Leifer » Thu May 07, 2009 10:56 pm

May be the last vintage you will be able to drink Dry Stack vyd wines.. ..I believe the name is being changed to Grey Stack or something like that due to some cockamamie complaint from Dry Sack concerned about people mistaking the Dry Stack wines from California for the Dry Sack Sherry..I am sure, howeveer, that Russell's wines and those of Florida Jim will not suffer from the name change
Jon
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 07, 2009 11:11 pm

You lucky dawg, geo! The rest of the wine Internet is still waiting to hear if they'll get a much-coveted space on the mailing list, and you've already tried the stuff. Cool label, too. That Cowan guy's a class act :D

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 08, 2009 9:25 am

Jon Leifer wrote:due to some cockamamie complaint from Dry Sack concerned about people mistaking the Dry Stack wines from California for the Dry Sack Sherry..

Oh please, really?

Hmmm...Gallo didn't buy Dry Sack, did they? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 08, 2009 10:02 am

Not bad!

Sounds a little soft. What was the acid/tannin structure like?
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Fri May 08, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks for the note George. What kind of oak treatment did this wine receive? Was it at all noticeable?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Fri May 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Jenise/George..minor error..the vineyard name does remain Dry Stack..the winery name has been changed to Grey Stack as a result of the action brought by Dry Sack..If you look at the winery website, they have superimposed Grey stack over Dry Stack..Home page has a brief comment re same

Jenise..must add a thank you..prompted by your post , I signed up for their mailing list,created an account and ordered some of their highly praised Sauvignon Blanc..Given the copious amounts of praise for this wine on the internet, i didn't think any wd be available..Wd have ordered some of the Syrah but I am on a self imposed moratorium re buying reds..Bought wayyyy too many reds inthe past 6-7 mos..just buying whites for now

Jon
Jon
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun May 10, 2009 9:04 am

Dave R wrote:What kind of oak treatment did this wine receive? Was it at all noticeable?

6 months in 5 year old wood. Noticeable is individual to the taster, IMO; I notice none.
Sounds a little soft. What was the acid/tannin structure like?

The chemistry shows:
titratable acidity (FTIR) 0.65 g/100mL
volatile acidity(acetic) 0.042 g/100mL
pH (FTIR) 3.49
IMO, the tannins are more supple than would be expected for the variety and clone.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 10, 2009 10:00 am

Florida Jim wrote:IMO, the tannins are more supple than would be expected for the variety and clone.
Best, Jim

Was that a function of the weather or something you wanted to achieve in the winemaking?

Regardless, sounds interesting. Good luck with future versions!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Mon May 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:IMO, the tannins are more supple than would be expected for the variety and clone.
Best, Jim

Was that a function of the weather or something you wanted to achieve in the winemaking?

Both.
The weather allowed physiological ripeness without high brix.
The clone used is, more often than not, quite tannic, so I went to some lengths to keep the ferment cool, the extraction and pressing gentle and the handling minimal.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed May 13, 2009 7:55 am

Florida Jim wrote:The clone used is, more often than not, quite tannic

Jim,

Which clone is this? The first harvest from my 877 on Riparia will be this fall and am not sure what to expect.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Wed May 13, 2009 9:31 am

Brian Gilp wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:The clone used is, more often than not, quite tannic

Jim,

Which clone is this? The first harvest from my 877 on Riparia will be this fall and am not sure what to expect.

I know a number of syrah winemakers who don't like this clone, probably for that very reason. But despite its tendency toward tannic structure, it also has some very expressive aromatics (violet, purple fruit, blueberry, pepper). Handled gently, I think it can make an unusual syrah (not all the smoke, meat, blood stuff) that can drink well from the get-go.
But I also think it makes a wine that closes down - and when it does, all that structure is all you get. So, timing is everything.
Dry Stack has a relatively cool climate and, as mentioned, the brix at picking was lower than most other CA syrah - that helped by not only keeping alcohol down but by keeping textures feminine.
IMO, when dealing with this clone, one must go out of the way to keep temps. cool and handle it gently.
But then, the wine I am looking for is likely lighter and less typical than most.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed May 13, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks Jim. Appreciate your insights.