The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question about Sancerre

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Question about Sancerre

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu May 07, 2009 7:02 pm

What sort of tertiary aroma characteristics characterize Sancerre? I attended a Loire tasting the other night led by a representative from Robert Kacher, and many at our table all seemed to find the Sancerre slightly...off. It wasn't corked, but it had a kind of musty, skunky smell. However, there were a couple of people who said that it was classic Sancerre. We asked the rep but didn't get a decisive opinion from him (he kind of hedged and said that every bottle is different). In fact, we compared notes with those at two other tables, and each of our bottles seemed to yield something a little different, even though it was the same wine.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Question about Sancerre

by David Creighton » Thu May 07, 2009 8:07 pm

can you remind us which producer this is. the importer is well regarded; but the answer to your query was way off. i still think possibly cork taint; but it could also be reduction (sort of a rubbery smell) or even H2S. what vintage please. anyway, classic sancerre has the typical grassy sauvignon blanc aromas plus in some vintages a very slight peach character - which is even more pronounced in neighboring menetou-salon. the acid should be quite high. it should NOT smell like NZ sauvignon blanc - bell pepper and green bean. it should NOT be alcholic - but elegant and quafable. 2007 is a classic vintage - perhaps as good as 2002.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri May 08, 2009 12:28 am

David, it was a 2007 Domaine Thomas. It didn't really seem to have any of the characteristic SB traits...no grass, no grapefruit, no discernible fruit...just a really funky, skunky smell. I noticed in the literature that they mentioned gunpowder as one of the aromas associated with some Loire wines and thought that perhaps that's what we were getting and misinterpreting. I've never actually smelled gunpowder so I don't know!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Fri May 08, 2009 1:35 am

Krystyn, mix a tiny bit of powdered sulphur and charcoal and torch it with a cigarette lighter. The olfactory result is "gunpowder." That's not the same as what you describe, though, and it sounds like you just got a TCA tainted wine.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Fri May 08, 2009 3:07 am

I'm not familiar with the smell of skunks, but that are aromatics in SB that some call "cat's pee". I'm not convinced it smells like cat's pee at all, but SB certainly can have a nose that is very sharply pungent. Could that be it?

It's usually Pouilly Fumé that is associated with gun flint - the smokiness you get when a flint is struck. And as I understand it, the characteristic is meant to distinguish PF from Sancerre.

I wouln't read too much into different tables having different notes - happens all the time even when the wine is exactly the same.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri May 08, 2009 7:47 am

ok, well, thomas is a very fine producer and should be especially so in 2007. i'm guessing perhaps a combinations of low level TCA and some H2S. i'd try to get hold of another bottle; the H2S should go away with extended breathing and hopefully leave a very good wine. this vintage is the best since '02 and perhaps its equal.
david creighton
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri May 08, 2009 9:11 am

Coincidentally, I 'm going to a Sauvignon Blanc tasting tonight offered along with tapas at Elliott's on Linden in Pinehurst, NC. I hope they include Loire and New Zealand examples. Will report back Monday if I can.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 08, 2009 10:03 am

Why would a 2007 show tertiary characteristics?

What kind of rep would suggest that?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri May 08, 2009 1:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Why would a 2007 show tertiary characteristics?

What kind of rep would suggest that?

The rep didn't...that was all me, grasping for some reason for the skunky smell after being told there was nothing wrong with the bottle. Incidentally, I was at a tasting the other night themed "Barnyard Elegance" and the guy leading the class brought a 2007 Kistler Chardonnay as an example of a young, white wine with tertiary characterstics. On his little wine tasting chart that he gives out, he lists hay, smoke, tea, musk, stone and iron as tertiary characteristics in white wines. The Kistler did indeed have hay aromas, and after trying the next white and going back to it, it actually had notes of baked chicken (when I mentioned it, others said they could see what I was talking about, so it wasn't just me). So I guess a young, white wine can have tertiary characterstics? For that matter, isn't minerality a tertiary characteristic that is common in many young, white wines?
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri May 08, 2009 8:21 pm

What do you mean by 'tertiary characteristics'?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri May 08, 2009 8:24 pm

i'm sorry - primary, secondary, now tertiary??? i guess the primary ones are the aromas of the fruit, fermentation, oak additives? what are spoilage aromas? brett, VA, H2S, reduction, oxidation? but really, tertiary???? come on.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Sat May 09, 2009 11:32 am

Primary means from the fruit, secondary means from the cellar, and tertiary means from bottle-aging. It's not clear how a young Kistler Chardonnay would be a good example of tertiary aromas, although it would probably be an excellent example of secondary aromas.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

by Oliver McCrum » Sat May 09, 2009 9:12 pm

How old was the Sancerre?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat May 09, 2009 10:42 pm

'07 according to the third message in this topic. Hardly ancient.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Sun May 10, 2009 2:23 pm

I am a big fan of Sancerre, but the typical prices are daunting. Still, I will occassionally pay $20 +/- for a nice bottle. The regular bottling from Thomas has been a disappointment over the last few years, and apparently the '07 is no different. Sloppy winemaking is the only excuse I can think of. Maybe he ages in old oak that imparts off flavors, but I agree that the basic bottling is not good nor is it classic Sancerre. Try another producer and I think you will be "swept off your feet".
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Kyrstyn Kralovec wrote:the guy leading the class brought a 2007 Kistler Chardonnay as an example of a young, white wine with tertiary characterstics...So I guess a young, white wine can have tertiary characterstics? For that matter, isn't minerality a tertiary characteristic that is common in many young, white wines?

As others have mentioned, I don't think minerality is a tertiary characteristic and this seems like an all-around weird class. But, even in those cirucmstances, one can learn something!