The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bryce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Bryce

by ChefJCarey » Wed May 06, 2009 8:48 pm

I was driving around in the rain the other day, yes, I do that, and yes, it does rain on occasion in the Willamette Valley. Stopped at Bryce - and learned a few things. Marcia Bagnall is the owner/winemaker. She makes her wine at the Winemaker's Studio in Carlton, but with all her own grapes - her house is surrounded by them. I was there because I am idiot.

The next day she was having an open house and a tasting. I got the day wrong. She could not have been more gracious. Invited me in and popped a bottle of her 2007 pinot noir (the only wine she makes). We sat and talked a while in her Craftsman style living room. I got the Mission chair and ottoman. She makes an excellent wine, drinkable now, but has aging potential. Unfortunately, she only makes a few hundred cases.

I sort of met her husband, too. Turns out he, Bryce, was the winemaker originally. He died a few years ago of ALS. He has a nice little area in the vineyard where he is buried. There were flowers on his grave.

She told me the ins and outs of how one may be buried on private property in Oregon.

A special serendipitous afternoon.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

Re: Bryce

by michael dietrich » Wed May 06, 2009 9:48 pm

I met Bryce when I got to go to Oregon Pinot Camp in 2003. He was the winemaker at Witness Tree back then. He also did have his Bryce label. It was certainly a great loss when he passed. I do think that Steven Westby has been doing a great job also.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu May 07, 2009 12:16 am

Yeah, I know he was at Witness Tree. He was good and is missed by a lot of wine people.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu May 07, 2009 12:38 am

I have been meaning to visit the Carlton Winemaker's Studio ... been very close by a number of times (including two winemaker dinners at Cana's Feast Winery right up the street). I will make it point to do this soon. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to meet Ms. Bagnall; she sounds like a very classy person.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu May 07, 2009 1:22 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:I have been meaning to visit the Carlton Winemaker's Studio ... been very close by a number of times (including two winemaker dinners at Cana's Feast Winery right up the street). I will make it point to do this soon. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to meet Ms. Bagnall; she sounds like a very classy person.

-- Clark

She is indeed. We belong to the Cana's Feast club. Was just there last week and had a nice chat with Patrick. He gave us a taste of some nifty cinsault in the barrel.