The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1973 Sterling Vineyards Pinot Noir (Napa Valley)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: 1973 Sterling Vineyards Pinot Noir (Napa Valley)

by David Z » Wed May 06, 2009 7:35 pm

So I couldn't resist opening my $15 "case filler" from my Winebid score. This is in -remarkable- condition: literally better than some 2007's I've drunk recently. The cork is whole and elastic and comes out smoothly, soaked 2/3rds of the way up with the bottom coated thickly in sediment.

Orangey-red color, fairly dark. This explodes with all-sorts of aged pinot aromas: forest floor, leather, a little dose of brett, spice. Dark cherry notes waft in and out, alternately coming to the forefront and then fading behind the tertiary stuff. Magnificent.

Oh, and it tastes great too. Sweet brown sugar, cherry, and spice, beef blood. Its still a touch tannic, and there's a hint of bitterness on the back of the tongue, but otherwise I couldn't ask for more from aged pinot. It's so savory, it almost tastes like there's a hint of soy in it, and not in a bad way, more in a "are there glutamates in this?!" kind of way. I'm not normally not one of these Parkerian "the aftertaste lasts for 2 minutes!!11!!!!!" types, but, the aftertaste lasts for 2 minutes! (Even though the wine is never overbearing when its actually in your mouth.)

I've only had a handful of 15 year old+ pinots in my life, but I can't imagine it gets much better than this. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

(My only regret is that I opened this with no one around, b/c I expected it to be oxidized!)
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: 1973 Sterling Vineyards Pinot Noir (Napa Valley)

by Ryan M » Wed May 06, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks for the most interesting note! In 2007 I did a Sterling Napa Cab vertical that included the '76 and the '77. Although not as tremendous as what you describe, they were very fine, gracefully old Napa Cabs, and still a great treat to drink. I get the impression that Sterling is not especially well regarded these days, but they must have been doing something right in the 70s.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Wed May 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:Thanks for the most interesting note! In 2007 I did a Sterling Napa Cab vertical that included the '76 and the '77. Although not as tremendous as what you describe, they were very fine, gracefully old Napa Cabs, and still a great treat to drink. I get the impression that Sterling is not especially well regarded these days, but they must have been doing something right in the 70s.

Having read up on the wine now, I have a little more info:
-they sold out to Coca-Cola in 1977, when quality started to go downhill.
-from 1970 to sometime in the mid 70's, Ric Forman was the winemaker (someone with better knowledge of CA would know about this). I've had a younger Forman cab once- IIRC he comes from the "traditionalist" school of CA cabernets.
-I have no idea where the grapes for this wine came from. Pinot was never a big thing for Sterling, apparently.

I felt guilty keeping this to myself, so I rung up my parents and brought it over so we could share a glass. 2 hours after it was first opened, it was still fabulous. They were both blown away by it, and neither is an oenophile (let alone an necrooenophile). Its delightful stuff.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed May 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Had the 82, 84, and 87 in the tasting as well - all good, especially the 87, which had a few years left in it. If they went down hill, it must have been a slow decline. I've only had two more recent Sterlings: an excellent Sonoma Cab, and a nasty-dead 7 year old Viognier. Need to give their entry level Cab a try sometime.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:Had the 82, 84, and 87 in the tasting as well - all good, especially the 87, which had a few years left in it. If they went down hill, it must have been a slow decline. I've only had two more recent Sterlings: an excellent Sonoma Cab, and a nasty-dead 7 year old Viognier. Need to give their entry level Cab a try sometime.

If I am permitted to generalize, all of the 1980s vintages ecxcept 1987 are now in decline, albeit graceful decline in many cases. I think I still have a 1987 Three Palms I should ferret out and drink.

Good score on the 73 Pinot - I'd have given odds it would be over and done too.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 07, 2009 7:07 pm

David Z wrote:I've only had a handful of 15 year old+ pinots in my life, but I can't imagine it gets much better than this.

But how many 36 year old Pinots have you had?
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Thu May 07, 2009 10:00 pm

Well.........none.

I've had an '83 Pommard. Thats kind of in the ballpark. Sort of. Almost.

FWIW, the last glass of this bottle was still in fine shape tonight--a little more tertiary, but still enough fruit to carry it for about an hour or so in the glass until it collapsed and became bitter and tannic. While it was good, it was still excellent.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Thu May 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:
David Z wrote:I've only had a handful of 15 year old+ pinots in my life, but I can't imagine it gets much better than this.

But how many 36 year old Pinots have you had?

I've had only one Pinot that was more than 5 years old: an exquisite old '52 Chambolle-Musigny, in 2006. Very, very mature, but still satisfying and very charming.
Galileo Galilei