The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Woo Winebid Woo!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Woo Winebid Woo!

by David Z » Wed May 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Dunno if anyone noticed, but a ton of 1981 California Cabs went up on Winebid recently. Since I'm a 1981 baby, I couldn't help myself.

And boy, am I glad I did. The bottles came today, and the fills are all bottom neck or better, the corks are flush, the capsules spinning...whoever kept these babies for the last quarter century did a TREMENDOUS job.

So excited! I got the whole range: Mondavi Reserve, Chappelet, Montelena Estate, BV GdlT, Pine Ridge Rutherford, Inglenook Cask Reserve...and more. 9 bottles of 1981 Cal Cab, $260 total. Tremendous!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Woo Winebid Woo!

by Jenise » Wed May 06, 2009 3:22 pm

How very cool, David! That's going to make some party. Are you going to save them for your 30th or something?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Wed May 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Jenise wrote:How very cool, David! That's going to make some party. Are you going to save them for your 30th or something?

Thats's the plan, though I might need to sample one for my next birthday! I may also buy some more now that I've seen these are the real deal. Not much interest in 1981- middling vintage, past-prime, etc. All the better for me. Still need to fill in some of the big names for a encyclopedic horizontal (Mayacamas, Ridge, Caymus).
no avatar
User

dposner

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:27 pm

Rye, New York

by dposner » Mon May 11, 2009 8:07 am

You may have better luck with some BDX from the vintage?
Critics hate Criticism!
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Mon May 11, 2009 2:03 pm

There was a big 1981 Bordeaux tasting at Acker last month, and one of the attendees told me it was "disappointing". Given the prices for the 1981 bordeauxs ($140-200 for first growths in good condition), I think its a big risk. What I would love to do is a horizontal of the 1981 Riojas- much less chance of a dead bottle, and prices should be <$100 pretty much across the board. If they ever came up for sale, I'd be there.