The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tocai or Tokaji

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

Tocai or Tokaji

by J Nolan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Went out of my boundries last night and after dinner I happen to have had a little bag of tozzetti, so instead of the usual Vin Santo, I happen to have placed my hand on a lovely sweet wine 'Tokaji Aszù' '98 from hungry. well I have to say I was mightly impressed being the first time that I've had a sweet Tokaji, It wasn't over powering like allot of vin santo with that heavy alcholic aroma.

I have drank the younger sister as well, (the dry version) 15°, really liked it. I was just wondering whether or not someone else has had the previlige?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Tocai or Tokaji

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:27 pm

J Nolan wrote:Went out of my boundries last night and after dinner I happen to have had a little bag of tozzetti, so instead of the usual Vin Santo, I happen to have placed my hand on a lovely sweet wine 'Tokaji Aszù' '98 from hungry. well I have to say I was mightly impressed being the first time that I've had a sweet Tokaji, It wasn't over powering like allot of vin santo with that heavy alcholic aroma.

I have drank the younger sister as well, (the dry version) 15°, really liked it. I was just wondering whether or not someone else has had the previlige?

Yes, I've been fortunate enough to have a bottle of Istvan Szepsy's Tokaji Aszù 6 putts (puttonyos are a measure of sweetness in Tokaj, typically ranging from 4-6) several years ago at dinner in France: a mind-blowing sweet wine, unlike any Sauternes, Monbazillac, or TBA that I've had. The best examples aren't easy to find, nor are they cheap, but they are one of the world's great sweet wines.

Mark Lipton

p.s. The spelling "Tocai" is used in Friuli in Italy for a dry white wine "Tocai Friulano" that is totally unrelated to Hungarian Tokaji.
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

by J Nolan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:33 am

I know Tocai is Italian it was a little Joke to get people interested, from this year on Tocai will not be allowed called Tocai anymore, I think they are going to call it 'Bianco Friulano'. as they had a little battle over the origins of the name a couple of years back and Hungary won. Look out for this
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:59 am

J Nolan wrote:Went out of my boundries last night and after dinner I happen to have had a little bag of tozzetti, so instead of the usual Vin Santo, I happen to have placed my hand on a lovely sweet wine 'Tokaji Aszù' '98 from hungry. well I have to say I was mightly impressed being the first time that I've had a sweet Tokaji, It wasn't over powering like allot of vin santo with that heavy alcholic aroma.

Ah, yes ... Tokaji. Definitely one of my favorite dessert wines despite the fact that my experience with it is relatively limited. For more affordable pleasure than the legendary Istvan Szepsy's Tokaji (which I have never tried), look for Royal Tokaji Wine Company and Chateau Megyer, both of which produce very fine Aszu 5 Puttonyos.
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:48 am

J.,

While I've not had Aszu (or the higher levels) from Tokaj, I have sipped on numerous bottles of '92 5- and 6-putt and '93 6-putt Tokaj from Disznoko. At the time of release, these were $26-$29 bottles sourced in PA (of all places, something I forgot to include in the non-rant part of my rant on PA).

Very yummy stuff... and if I had the $$ to purchase more recent versions, I would, but it seems to have caught on and close to doubled in price (or more) for more recent vintages. Luckily I have a couple bottles still in the cellar, as I was curious to see how these wines would age for a bit of time. I gotta remember to locate them and pull one soon!

Note, I don't recall having any of the standard furmint bottlings (the dry wines). Have to rectify that some day.

Thanks,

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:21 am

J Nolan wrote:I know Tocai is Italian it was a little Joke to get people interested, from this year on Tocai will not be allowed called Tocai anymore, I think they are going to call it 'Bianco Friulano'. as they had a little battle over the origins of the name a couple of years back and Hungary won. Look out for this

If I remember Agostino was fairly upset and said so on the good ol' WLDG when this all went down. I don't think the rest of us could quite work up his rightious indignation not being on the ground so to speak.