The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1993 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 1993 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Spatlese

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 am

1993 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Spatlese 7.5%
The cork had good adhesion around the circumference but the center was completely crumbled and came out messily, in a thousand pieces. Aroma seemed fine so I decanted to remove cork debris using a coffee paper filter (some consider this a no-no, but it worked just fine). Miraculously, no sign of oxidation. Fragrant aromas of peach, persimmon and honey. At slightly warmer temperatures a pleasant kerosene note emerged, subtle and integrated. Acidity was initially very lively, with a citric tinge. Before food, it somewhat overwhelmed the delicate sweetness, but after food the balance righted itself. As it warmed, the aromatics kept getting stronger and stronger, showing beautifully what it's like to be mature but not old (like me? :oops: :wink: ). Purchased at some obscene price at Crush last year (under $30) so I feared an attack of "you get what you pay for," but it was just lovely. Yes, Saar!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 1993 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Spatlese

by Dale Williams » Wed May 06, 2009 8:10 am

Nice. Did you happen to note AP number? I think there were multiple bottlings in '93. I have a #8 (different source) that I'm bringing to a dinner Friday.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed May 06, 2009 8:56 am

Dale Williams wrote:Nice. Did you happen to note AP number? I think there were multiple bottlings in '93. I have a #8 (different source) that I'm bringing to a dinner Friday.

It's 3 551 083-8-94 The 8 is highlighted, so I imagine it's an 8, like yours?

If you have one of those openers with two prongs that slide into the sides, that might work better if you also get a crumbly cork.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
It's 3 551 083-8-94 The 8 is highlighted, so I imagine it's an 8, like yours?

If you have one of those openers with two prongs that slide into the sides, that might work better if you also get a crumbly cork.

Not 08-94? Last 2 digits are year approved (so 99.5% of time year after vintage), preceding 2 numbers are order wines were approved from that producer (and what is generally used to describe lots) . In any case, sounds like we have same wine (I'll look at my label tonight). Dinner is at 11 Mad, so I'll let them worry re cork! But will bring an Ah So just in case. :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed May 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:3 551 083-8-94 The 8 is highlighted, so I imagine it's an 8, like yours?

OK, same wine. Mine also is -8, I guess the - can replace the 0, never noticed that before.
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

by JeanF » Wed May 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Dale,
makers are free to write 8 or 08 or even 008 (which I have seen at large bottlers) for the serial number of their AP.
j
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed May 06, 2009 11:15 pm

It sounds like a nice wine, Dale. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Diane