The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Range

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: The Range

by Rahsaan » Tue May 05, 2009 10:02 pm

1998 Nigl Senftenberger Piri Riesling
This bottle does not show as well as one from a few weeks ago. It may be an issue of sub-optimal storage, but regardless the steely sour golden corn is a bit on the generic side and this bottle is past where I would derive more pleasure.

2006 Hubert Bouzereau-Gruère Meursault Les Tillets
Green grey minty fresh firm and juicy wine. Straightforward and not deep or complex but nicely elegant in the acidic structure (especially for the vintage) and I would buy this if it were half the price.

2007 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Sauvignon #2
This on the other hand is a no-brainer. Starts off a bit cheesy but that blows off with air and leaves you with a refreshing chalky firm grippy mineral version of sauvignon with tons of character. Plus, one could buy four of these for one bottle of the Bouzereau and still have change. A no-brainer.

2007 Leth Grüner Veltliner Steinagrund Lagenreserve
Crisp mineral and refreshing. Nice if there are few other options and certainly respectable for a non-wine geek crowd. But doesn’t strike me as anything to hunt down.

2006 Charvin Côtes du Rhône Le Poutet
I bought this for my wife because I knew it would be exactly the kind of wine she likes. Deeply fruited but smooth and supple with some ‘refreshing’ acidic lift. Even I enjoyed it, all those ripe slippery plums and such. The only downside was the 14.5% alcohol which became slightly evident on the palate and even more so in my head. Still, fun fun fun.

2007 Valmiñor Albariño Rias Baixas
We’ve gone through a few bottles of this at parties and it is good fun. Juicy slightly peachy crisp fresh wine. Nothing less nothing more. A bit glossy as others have said, and it doesn’t have the personality of the CRB sauvignon, but fun enough at the start of the evening. Especially when there are few other options.

2006 Bruno Clavelier Bourgogne Passetoutgrain VV
Wow. Not for the faint of heart! Tart, peppery, weedy, and tight. Even I can’t really get into it.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: The Range

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed May 06, 2009 7:07 am

Rahsaan wrote:[2006 Charvin Côtes du Rhône Le Poutet
I bought this for my wife because I knew it would be exactly the kind of wine she likes.

Nice that you have a handle on this. In the beginning of our relationship, Marcia was more partial to fruit bombs, but now that we have regulated our menstrual cycles, we're into almost the same wines...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 06, 2009 10:40 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Nice that you have a handle on this. In the beginning of our relationship, Marcia was more partial to fruit bombs, but now that we have regulated our menstrual cycles, we're into almost the same wines...

Yes, it's nice to be able to please her. Although I usually consume about 80-90% of the bottle regardless of whether she likes it, so I don't always worry about it too much :D
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 am

Rahsaan,
Were these bottles all purchased locally? I am curious as we are having Moroccan food this weekend and I am looking for some good Riesling to go with it.Have you found any of the local shops to be reliable suppliers of riesling? Great notes as always. One of these days I we will have to tip a few glasses together.
Cheers!
James
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 06, 2009 10:57 am

James Roscoe wrote:Rahsaan,
Were these bottles all purchased locally? I am curious as we are having Moroccan food this weekend and I am looking for some good Riesling to go with it.Have you found any of the local shops to be reliable suppliers of riesling?

The Nigl and the Bouzereau-Gruère were not purchased locally, but the rest were.

For riesling, Macarthurs has a phenomenal selection in my opinion. Have you bought from them in the past?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Rahsaan,
Were these bottles all purchased locally? I am curious as we are having Moroccan food this weekend and I am looking for some good Riesling to go with it.Have you found any of the local shops to be reliable suppliers of riesling?

The Nigl and the Bouzereau-Gruère were not purchased locally, but the rest were.

For riesling, Macarthurs has a phenomenal selection in my opinion. Have you bought from them in the past?

I love MacArthurs, but I am in PG Co. which is in the wrong direction. I will make special trips over when they have a good tasting coupled with a good sale. I need a riesling for the moroccan dinner so I may just go there Saturday.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.