The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: red (Jumilla), white (Macon), and pink (Provence)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: red (Jumilla), white (Macon), and pink (Provence)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 05, 2009 9:33 am

Sunday some friends invited us to try a new Persian place in Elmsford (no license, BYO) but I had a speech in Rockland. We worked out a plan where they would pick up Betsy and go order; I would join after jumping back over the Tappan Zee. But as I drove Betsy called to say they couldn't get a table at Shiraz, so we met instead at Malabar Hill. They ordered lamb Madras (mustard seeds and coconut-onion sauce), lamb Pasanda (creamy nut sauce), saag paneer, and a shrimp dish, along with some appetizers. They quoted a modest corkage charge, so I arrived to find 2 bottles waiting:

2007 Casa Castillo Monastrell (Jumilla)
Big in your face fruit, but more acidity than I expected. Tangy, dark berry fruit. Not any real oak showing, a pleasant enough Southern Rhone/Languedoc look alike. Not great combo with the food, but fine on its own. B

2007 Litaud "Les Pommards" St Veran
Nice, with quite ripe mango and pear fruit, yet not lacking in acidity. No apparent wood, clean, good finish with some chalky mineral notes. Very pleasant (though again maybe not a perfect match with the food!). B/B+

Monday was frantic with a speech in western NJ and a visit to a friend in the hospital, came home to discover Betsy was cooking from Sonoma Diet cookbook again. Dinner was chicken breast with mint and chile powder, with an eggplant salad with olives,. arugula, and feta. Not exactly wine friendly. When in doubt, pink! The 2008 Mas de Gourgonnier Rose(Les Baux-De-Provence) is a pretty nice wine, in a fuller Provencal style. Fruit reminds me of cherry and strawberry KoolAid™, but with less sweetness. Sounds like a strange comparison but I actually like the wine. There good body, some herbs and a little citrus peel, nice finish. Nice rose. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Re: WTN: red (Jumilla), white (Macon), and pink (Provence)

by John F » Tue May 05, 2009 9:38 am

Dale

Have you had the Mas de Gourgonnier rouge over the years ? I always find that an interesting and well priced wine
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue May 05, 2009 1:07 pm

John, don't think I have had the basic, though I've had the Reserve du Mas, which is a CdP lookalike.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Tue May 05, 2009 9:14 pm

The basic is $15 or so and quite a nice southern france wine. I'm pretty sure these guys have an organic growing thing going on.

Does the rose come in the quirky sort of rounded bottle the red does?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue May 05, 2009 9:21 pm

John F wrote:The basic is $15 or so and quite a nice southern france wine. I'm pretty sure these guys have an organic growing thing going on.
Does the rose come in the quirky sort of rounded bottle the red does?

Yes, think they were organic before organic was cool.
No, pretty standard Bdx shaped bottle.