The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Partying with a dead widow ('89 Grande Dame)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: Partying with a dead widow ('89 Grande Dame)

by Mark Lipton » Mon May 04, 2009 3:32 pm

First of all, thanks to you all for your congratulations. The public celebration of our 20th anniversary took place this Saturday. We threw a party for our friends from work, our neighbors and friends from childcare. At its height, there were probably 40 or so people in our home, and a gaggle of 8 children aged 2-5 upstairs with two babysitters (Andrew was having a party in parallel with our own). We served various finger foods: a 5.5 lb side of farmed Scottish salmon that I smoked, a huge batch of gambas al ajillo, some skewers of moo ping from our excellent local Thai restaurant, bread and platters of cheese, salume, antipasti and vegetables. We had various still wines on hand, as well as a case of Gruet Brut, but the centerpiece to the event was Jean's gift to me:

1989 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame" (3 L)
nose: lemons, lightly toasty
palate: subdued mousse, creamy mouthfeel, lemony fruit, moderately toasty finish

The backstory is that Jean opened a bottle of NV Veuve Clicquot in '88 to propose to me (yes, Larry, I am lucky), so she decided that it would be apropos to celebrate with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot from the year of our marriage and was able to find a double magnum for sale at Crush in NYC. We were both pleasantly surprised at how young and vibrant this wine was. Having only had La Grande Dame a few times previously, I can't say that I'm an expert on the house style, but this wine seemed less acidic but also a bit more complex than what I recalled. Very little earthy/mushroomy/oxidative character to this wine, reflecting most likely the large format. (side note: I got the cork out with some effort as the backpressure was much reduced over the standard for a young bottle) Consensus was that this was a crowd pleaser of an aged Champers, which in the end was for the best.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: WTN: Partying with a dead widow ('89 Grande Dame)

by Anders Källberg » Mon May 04, 2009 3:36 pm

Mark, good to hear that this bottle was much more a success than the '83 Margaux!
Good luck with your next 20 years!
Anders
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon May 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Best wishes on 40 more great years!
I love aged champagne!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Mon May 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Congratulations from both Kim and this taster, Mark. Hope we can meet Jean before too long!

Your amigo,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue May 05, 2009 10:14 am

Love the title, Mark!