The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

California Cabs, Pinot, and Chard and a Value Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

California Cabs, Pinot, and Chard and a Value Bordeaux

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Some quite nice wines this weekend:

2003 Signorello Cabernet Sauvignon (Stag's Leap District). This is in a very fine place right now, with resolving tannins, some nice savory notes, and a core of delicious, beautiful Stag's Leap cherry fruit. Fantastic wine. 93. Tasted through their cab lineup on Friday and it was quite fine overall...although the 2003 wins right now. French winemaker!

2003 William Harrison Cabernet Sauvignon. The fruit is a little more "candied" than the Signorello, with a note of dark currant joining the cherry fruit. May be bottle variation (definitely present in this winery) as I've never experienced the "candied" character before. Good acidity-needs food. What I, at least, enjoy about William Harrison wines is the hint...just a hint and it is not always present...of brett that adds complexity to the package. 90 points.

2007 William Harrison Chardonnay. Carneros fruit. This actually surprised me...they are moving toward a less rich, more balanced Chardonnay. May be the white wine of the month for me, to be honest, with beautiful honeyed and citrus fruit and outstanding crystaline acidity. When I was a member of their club I switched to the "reds only" option, and this may have been a mistake. :? 93 points.

Ramien "Chapter 2003" Red Blend Mount Veeder. Did not like the nose on this wine, which to me had that kinda sour "tired" weedy cherry fruit character. Maybe should have drank this a year or two ago? HOWEVER, the flavors were surprisingly pleasant, with a definite Bordeaux character of savory, earthy, black fruit. 88 points, but the Bordeaux character was quite fine.

2006 Signorello Pinot Noir Carneros. More fruit forward than I remembered from last year, but the silky tannins and mouth feel and the fine cherry fruit complemented the roast duck most of us had at Bay Wolf in Oakland Saturday night. Quite nice.

2005 Chateau Recougne Bordeaux Superieur. Bottle had been open for a day or so, so tannins were resolved but still provided structure. Delicious tobacco, leather, black fruit character. To be honest, for $22, I liked this more than some of the Oakville cabernets we drank last week at twice the price! Give this wine plenty of air-or time in the cellar. 90 points.
Last edited by Brian K Miller on Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: California Cabs, Pinot, and Chard and a Value Bordeaux

by Jon Peterson » Mon May 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks for the notes, Brian. I've been a fan of Chateau Recougne for several years. One year recently it was a little off, at least to my taste, and I took a case back to the seller but generally it's been a very goodBordeaux Superieur.