The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Jammy Concoction

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: A Jammy Concoction

by Bob Hower » Sun May 03, 2009 10:19 pm

2004 Mr. Black's Concoction. Barossa Valley. Shiraz (96%) Viognier blend. 15% abv. $18 USD a couple of years ago. This is a style of wine that is much out of favor here, but every once in a while I feel like one of these: a big, in your face, jammy, cocktail wine. This one works better than the cheaper examples you find commonly. It has a lush deep garnet color. On the nose and on the palate, rich, immediate, intense cherry and other red fruits, with deft use of oak to yield smooth but not overwhelming sweet vanilla, medium body with a fiery finish from it's high alcohol content. You gotta problem with that? An entertaining wine with an entertaining label which could have only come from Oz. I don't want this all the time, but every once in a while it hits just the right spot. Paired well with pasta and tomato sauce enhanced with farmers' market brats.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: A Jammy Concoction

by Rahsaan » Sun May 03, 2009 11:59 pm

Bob Hower wrote:An entertaining wine with an entertaining label which could have only come from Oz..

Did the label really add much to your enjoyment?
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Mon May 04, 2009 7:06 am

Rahsaan,

I'm a visual person and I love wine labels. While I generally prefer more restrained and traditional labels - there's really nothing better or more evocative than a Bordeaux label - and I hate cute ones, this one is pretty good. It didn't make the wine TASTE better, but it was fun to contemplate. So yes, it did.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 am

Bob Hower wrote:It didn't make the wine TASTE better, but it was fun to contemplate. So yes, it did.

It's all part of the experience, which I have been known to enjoy myself from time to time..

And it's not a huge deal, but always interesting to see which way the bottle faces at a dinner party. All things being equal, it's nice not to have the bottle turning its back on you. But, that's not possible for everyone!
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Mon May 04, 2009 10:28 am

It's one of the things I miss when ordering wine by the glass...unless the wine is really disappointing. Well, even then maybe.