The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Escarpment, Martinborough, NZ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

WTN: Escarpment, Martinborough, NZ

by Anders Källberg » Sun May 03, 2009 4:22 pm

As some of you know, Pinot Noir from New Zealand has become somewhat of a fetish , not only for me, but also for many of my wine tasting friends in AuZone - the wine tasting society. Luckily for us, there is quite a good number of these wines available here in Sweden - a bit surprising indeed, since Sweden and New Zealand actually are at the antipodes of each other. The boom of Pinot Noir in New Zealand is young, many vineyards are less than 10 years old and only a few are older than 20 years. Still, a sign that Pinot Noir is getting established also here is that more wineries are releasing separate vineyard bottlings. With AuZone we have already held a Felton Road tasting, learning about the differences between their regular Pinot Noir and their famous Blocks 3 and 5. Since the Martinborough winery Escarpment in 2006 released three different vineyard bottlings (Te Rehua, Moana and Voyager) I felt it was time to do a tasting of these, plus their regular Pinot and also of Kupe, another separate vineyard bottling that they have made already for a few years, the 2006 was the third time it was released. The name behind Escarpment is Larry McKenna, who made his fame as the winemaker at Martinborugh Vineyards for many years. In 1999 he started the Escarpment winery, just across the Te Muna Road from Martinborough Vineyards, together with his wife, Sue, and the Kirby couple. The Kupe vineyard is newly planted and owned by the winery, while for the other three vineyard bottlings in their "Insight Series" the grapes are bought from three different old vineyards.

2005 Premo, Waipara Springs, Canterbury
We started with a ringer. This one comes from the Canterbury district, in the middle of the east coast of the south island. On the nose there is a delicious, deep Pinot fruit with lots of ripe strawberries. The oak is a bit pronounced with smokey notes and a hint of hot dogs.
On the palate the attack is fresh and clean and with a good, chewable texture. A fresh acidity and some, fine grained tannins. It finishes a bit fiery and with a growing bitterness that unfortunately takes away some of the positive initial impressions.

2005 Kupe
Clean, fine tuned, fruity and a bit restrained nose. Finesse and freshness with deep strawberry fruit. A hint of mosquito repellent and moth balls making it a bit aromatic, in a nice way, I should add, perhaps.
Lean and very fresh attack. Clean fruit and a pronounced acidity which dominates a bit. Astringent but fine grained tannins. Dry and acidic finish. Lean and acid-driven today, will hopefully evolve to something more mellow with time, but I'm not quite sure. I would wait at least five years to expect it to approach maturity.

2006 Te Rehua
Open, fresh and charming nose with lots of fresh strawberry fruit. Good pinosity. Clean, maybe lacking a little in depth.
Fresh attack with some meat. Fresh acidity, though quite far from Kupe's almost searing acidity. A bit lean in the mid-palate. Moderate, dryish tannins. Lean and a bit unyielding finish. Hopefully this one will develop a bit with some more years in the bottle.

2006 Moana
Full bodied, almost voluptuous nose with some meat giving a hint of development. Silky and seductive, lovely Pinot character with strawberry fruit and a hint of smoke.
Broad and meaty attack with a good acidity. Chewable, almost a bit coarse texture and some bitterness growing towards the end. Fine, rounded tannins. Very nice wine. Group's clear winner and my no. 2.

2004 Pinot Noir
Strange, unfresh nose, more like old running shoes than fresh Pinot. Sweet over ripe fruit, beginning to become a tad too ripe to be fresh.
Ripe fruit in the attack. A good acidity gives some freshness to the cooked fruit. Soft tannins. Bitter finish. Hopefully something has happened here. another bottle would need to be checked in the hope that not all of them are like this.

2006 Pinot Noir
Rather full bodied with fresh, clean, aromatic strawberry fruit. Pinosity. A tad closed. A whiff of rubber and also some smoke. Good depth and concentration.
Fresh, tight attack with some sweetness. Good acidity and concentration. Notes of smoking wood fire. A bit hard and stony, almost some asphalt. Fine grained, embedded tannins. Dens, rather unyielding finish. Very good wine in the need of a couple of years rest in the cellar.

2006 Voyager
Deep and dense but closed and unyielding nose. Dark fruit, strawberries and cherries, getting more aromatic and open after some time in the glass. Also a smokiness is coming forward, giving notes of hot dogs and chocolate. Very deep.
Fresh and clean attack. Dense but also stylish. Good acidity and delicious fruit. Quite a lot of fine grained and nicely embedded tannins. Fiery, intense finish. Lots of potential for a great wine here. I will revisit it in about two years time. Group's no. 2, my winner.

To summarize, a very interesting tasting. A sense of terroir seems to be possible to find among the Kiwi Pinots now. Most of these wines felt a bit tunneling now and would need some time to open up again, hopefully to show their greatness.

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Escarpment, Martinborough, NZ

by Ian Sutton » Sun May 03, 2009 7:23 pm

Anders
Thanks for this - definitely a winemaker that it's worth keeping an eye on. I have fond memories of his Martinborough vineyard wines (and indeed the ones that Claire Mulholland made after he left), especially a 1998 Reserve, which probably hasn't hit peak yet.
I have two bottles of the 2003 Kupe to make my own call on and I suspect I'll crack the 1st next year.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon May 04, 2009 6:09 am

Thanks for the notes, Anders, these are all wines I am curious about and have limited access to at reasonable prices, but your notes are an excellent resource for future reference.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue May 05, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks for your comments, Ian and Oswaldo. I hope you will come across some of these wines, so we can hear your opinions of them.

I have realized that I forgot to mention the prices of the wines. In Swedish money, the Insight wines are SEK 299 and the base Pinot SEK 229 which would correspond to about EUR 28/22 and USD 37/29. Quite decently priced, I'd say, in particular compared to Felton Road's blocks that are more than twice the price of the Insights for the 2007 vintage here in Sweden.

Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue May 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Larry (Mr Pinot Noir as he is colloquially known here) certainly knows what he is doing with this grape in NZ. The true antipodes of NZ is actually Spain, Anders, but I know what you meant. :D
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue May 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Neil Courtney wrote: The true antipodes of NZ is actually Spain, Anders, but I know what you meant. :D

Hm, I was told as a kid that NZ was at our antipodes, but now that you've made me think of it I realize that it can't be true. At least latitudewise, it is evident to me that you are much closer to the equator than we are here. I guess that NZ is still the land that is closes to our real antipodes, which must be somewhere in the ocean south of you.
You learn something new each day, luckily!
Cheers, Anders
Last edited by Anders Källberg on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sat May 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Wondering whether that funky (in an unpleasant way) 2004 we had simply didn't age well or, as we hoped, was a faulty bottle, I opened another bottle tonight. It pleased my very much to find that my first somewhat cautious sniff revealed a luscious red strawberry fruit. Very charming and with lots of pinosity. Just a whiff of some toasted oak. Also the taste was very fresh, clean and aromatic, with very fine grained, almost soft tannins. A fresh, fruity finish with just a hint of bitterness. Although it was nice to find the wine in good condition, I also felt that it was a pity to open it already now and that a couple of more years would do it good. However, when the wine approached room temperature (I first tasted it directly from my cellar which holds 13 C now) the fruit diminished in the glass and was replaced by a rather charmless, toasted oakiness and the bitterness in the aftertaste became a bit overwhelming. So I'm not quite sure about the aging potential of this wine, perhaps it is better to drink it now while keeping it a bit chilled to preserve the fruit. I'm not sure if I have any more bottles, but if I find one, I'll anyway take a chance and let it rest for a couple of more years.

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun May 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks for posting these notes Anders- you've tasted a lot of wine here I haven't tried and interesting to read your opinion from the other side of the world.
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Mon May 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Wondering whether that funky (in an unpleasant way) 2004 we had simply didn't age well or, as we hoped, was a faulty bottle, I opened another bottle tonight.

Do they ship to Sweden under cork or screwcap?
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue May 26, 2009 12:06 am

Graeme Gee wrote:
Anders Källberg wrote:Wondering whether that funky (in an unpleasant way) 2004 we had simply didn't age well or, as we hoped, was a faulty bottle, I opened another bottle tonight.

Do they ship to Sweden under cork or screwcap?
cheers,
Graeme

Escarpment uses Diam now - but they may not have back then (2004 vintage) - so if not Diam, it would have been cork in the pinot noirs, at least. They have used screwcaps more recently, but only on their whites.
Someone correct me, please, if I am wrong.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Anders
Thanks for this - definitely a winemaker that it's worth keeping an eye on. I have fond memories of his Martinborough vineyard wines (and indeed the ones that Claire Mulholland made after he left), especially a 1998 Reserve, which probably hasn't hit peak yet.

I had that '98 Reserve at the winery in '01. What a fantastic wine! The '99 regular cuvée that they poured alongside it was no slouch, either.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue May 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:Anders

I had that '98 Reserve at the winery in '01. What a fantastic wine! The '99 regular cuvée that they poured alongside it was no slouch, either.

Mark Lipton

Just bit a bit of tangential trivia - Claire Mulholland is now with Amisfield at Central Otago, having left Martinborough Vineyards in 2006. Her successor at Martinborough Vineyards, Paul Mason, is doing a very good job there - he has that 'old vine' material to work with too.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 pm

Sue
Ta for this - for some reason news of this change had bypassed me.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster