The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2006 Red Burgundy vs. 2007 Kutch Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

2006 Red Burgundy vs. 2007 Kutch Pinot Noir

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri May 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Not really a showdown, but an opportunity to taste a few new releases.

Starting us off was a 2006 Joseph Drouhin Clos des Mouche Blanc - a charming wine with a nose that is creamy and nutty with light apple notes. It is of medium intensity with a hint of lime, and drinking nicely now.

The 2 red Burgs kept changing on the nose and on the palate during the course of dinner. First was a 2006 Hudelot Noellat Les Beaux Monts - a nose that was subtle and pure - red fruit and spice, with crunchy cranberries on the high toned palate. An hour later, it became mute, and then it began to show some of the earlier characteristics, but not at the same intensity. Beautiful when you caught it open. With it, we had a 2006 Denis Bachelet Gevrey Chambertin VV - at first, I found black olives and dark fruit on the nose with more of the same on the palate, but with a firm minty finish. This is the same aftertaste I noted on a Bachelet Cotes de Nuits Villages I had a couple of weeks ago, and found it equally offputting on these wines. With time, the Gevrey Chambertin showed bubble gum, while Suzanne found it to be more candied cherries. This was a tough wine to follow and I hope that it becomes tamer as it ages, as I have a few bottles at home.

A couple of Kutch pinots, 2007 Kanzler - a strong whiff of root beer was followed by a palate that was sweet with lots of raspberry fruit dripping with caramel. More than a little over the top for me, but our resident California wine lover enjoyed it immensely. Then it was a 2007 McDougal - this is lighter than the Kanzler, with raspberries and minerals. Light, easy going, enjoyable to drink now, and if it puts on weight with time, could be very nice.

The old world wine drinkers preferred the Burgs, while the one new world person chose the Kutch as her favorites. It was a night of good food, wine, and company at Union Square Cafe at $10 corkage per bottle. A very good deal.
Diane
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: 2006 Red Burgundy vs. 2007 Kutch Pinot Noir

by Rahsaan » Fri May 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:2006 Denis Bachelet Gevrey Chambertin VV - at first, I found black olives and dark fruit on the nose with more of the same on the palate, but with a firm minty finish. This is the same aftertaste I noted on a Bachelet Cotes de Nuits Villages I had a couple of weeks ago, and found it equally offputting on these wines..

Interesting. Have heard good things about both wines. Tasted the CdNV and liked it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 01, 2009 8:09 pm

I have not found anything minty in either of those Bachelet wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri May 01, 2009 9:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have not found anything minty in either of those Bachelet wines.

At dinner last night, one of the other women agreed with me about the minty taste, but didn't mind it. I found it extremely noticeable and very unpleasant. I thought the flavor profiles of both wines to be similar, with last night's Gevrey being drinkable, but not much more. I could barely drink the Cotes de Nuits from a couple of weeks ago.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri May 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting. Have heard good things about both wines. Tasted the CdNV and liked it.

I would like to think I had a bad bottle, since I have 5 more.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Well Diane, if you don't like it perhaps we can work out some kind of trade, as I love the 2006 Bachelet wines.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri May 01, 2009 10:08 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Well Diane, if you don't like it perhaps we can work out some kind of trade, as I love the 2006 Bachelet wines.

Want to come to LI on May 21 to drink a few 1999 Bordeaux and trade some wines?
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 01, 2009 10:09 pm

I will consider it. I have the 22nd off (furlough day).
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri May 01, 2009 10:16 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I will consider it. I have the 22nd off (furlough day).

A few of us are getting together at a very good byo for dinner that night to drink some '99s and celebrate my birthday. I would love for you to join us.
Diane