The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cheese with Red Burgundy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: Cheese with Red Burgundy

by Tom N. » Thu May 07, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi Tom,

One of the best burg-cheese matches I have ever had was Oka cheese with mushrooms Oka cheese is made in Quebec, Canada and I am not sure if you can get it in the US, but it is what I would call semihard cheese (not as hard as cheddar). I agree that a good Manchego would also be a nice match.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Fri May 08, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm with those who think that poorly matched wine and cheese (or other food) will ruin the wine. Or, more precisely, the wine won't taste like much.

I love Pierre Robert, but it will obliterate the nuance of any red wine. I can't count the number of bottles that were great with the main course but just didn't stand up to a course of great cheeses.
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

by Joshua Kates » Sat May 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Manchegos vary in age from 3 to 36 months; that largely accounts for their difference in quality and price. I know why people are skeptical about Epoisses and burgundy, but I have found that a not too stinky Epoisses (a little on the young side) and a youngish Burgundy can be really enjoyable together. I think part of it is the mouthfeel of the cheese, of Eposisse, which, when good, is almost like taffy. I don't know another like it. For that reason, too (another heresy, I know), a semi-aged goat cheese, like Humboldt fog or a Pyramide can also be a good accompaniment. After all, isn't it not just the sweeter fruits, but the acidity that can make white wine a good match for some cheese, and doesn't red Burg often share this as well?

Josh
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Mon May 11, 2009 10:42 am

I can't really opine - I've never had manchego or any other cheese from Costco. Manchego can indeed be young and soft or increasingly older, harder and more pungent. All of them can be very good, or less good. As in France, the best are made with unpasteurized milk. Also, some of the best ewes' milk cheese in Spain is not technically manchego but castellano - not from La Mancha, but from Old Castile, where such prized producers as Boffard or Flor de Esgueva are located.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 11, 2009 11:01 am

Kyrstyn Kralovec wrote:I have never had fish with a red of any kind that didn't end up making the wine taste metallic...so maybe if you get the sauce right it's do-able.

I think that is indeed the whole point. It all depends on the sauce. And of course the fish, the cooking method, the wine, etc.. :D
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:21 am

In general Manchego is too sharp for my palate. I can usually have it if it's coated with a fig spread (come to think of it, that combination may just work with red Burgundy). I like Rogov's idea of Raclette, I think Tomme de Savoie would work also. Hallumi is too salty for me, even fried.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 11, 2009 11:45 am

Jacques Levy wrote:In general Manchego is too sharp for my palate.

That's interesting. I have always found it to tend towards sweet and nutty. Although I haven't had any in Spain.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

NY

by Jacques Levy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:49 am

Rahsaan wrote:

That's interesting. I have always found it to tend towards sweet and nutty. Although I haven't had any in Spain.

As far as sheep's milk cheeses, I much prefer milder ones; Ossau-Iraty, Pecorino Toscano or Sardo
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Manchego gets sharper with age. You ones will be soft but will have less character. An older mature sharper cheese works very well against an Amontillado, for instance.

At the risk of repeating myself, the question of whether a wine goes with a particular food needs (IMO) to be more highly particularized.

You CAN take a lovely Alsatian Grand Cru Gewurztraminer, and have it with moderately spicy Indian or Chinese food. How you evaluate the match depends on which end of the matter you are looking up - if a foodie, your answer may be that it worked out quite well, and cooled your palate from the surfeit of spice in the food. A person looking at it from the point of view of a wine fan might respond that the food didn't quite destroy the wine, but it came damned close, and that the wine would have been far more enjoyable on its own or with a better food match.

Assuming that we are all talking from a wine base here, the question one shoudl ask is whether the food made the wine more, or less enjoyable. In my experience, a strongly flavoured cheese can ruin a mature Burgundy, especially a stinky type (of cheese, not Burg). A soft younger cheese can mute the acidity (and sometimes tannins) of a young Burgundy, on the other hand. My best advice is to always taste the wine alone, then sample it with the cheese, and if you don't think it is an improvement, by all that is holy STOP and finish the wine alone before going on to the cheese. Many times we've had to do this, or have saved the wine until the cheese is consumed, although that method may leave you with a palate that is not going to recover in a reasonable time.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Manchego is never markedly sharp - even well-aged manchego.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

NY

by Jacques Levy » Mon May 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:

Manchego is never markedly sharp - even well-aged manchego.

To my palate it is. I am very delicate :)
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 11, 2009 10:30 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:As far as sheep's milk cheeses, I much prefer milder ones; Ossau-Iraty, Pecorino Toscano or Sardo

I'm not sure what you mean by 'mild' - from my experiences Ossau-Iraty and Sardo are typically stronger and gamier than the sweeter and nuttier Manchego.

I have a feeling this variation in our opinions may come more from exposure to different versions of the specific cheeses.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue May 12, 2009 1:35 am

I think it would be frankly bizarre to say that "red wine does not go with cheese", but like religion, sex, and suchlike we are not in the realm of things very objective here.

One of the world's leading wine writers, Hugh Johnson, says he does not like cheese with wine.
You can't "argue" with such things. It's all a matter of personal preferences.

It's true that some of the "pronouncements" (or statements perceived to that effect) on this thread are offputting.

Yes, a ripe époisses may kill the subtleties of a fine red wine.
But, it would also kill the subtleties of a fine *white* wine!

OK, a crottin de Chavignol, for instance, is probably better with a dry white wine than a red.
But I'd be delighted to have it with a fine glass of Bordeaux or Burgundy too!

As the English say, "let's not get our knickers in a twist".

Let us take the "rules" - or personal opinions dressed up as such - and heave them out the window.

Like sex and religion, it's whatever turns you on...

Best regards,
Alex R.
Previous