The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2008 Syncline Rosé

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

WTN: 2008 Syncline Rosé

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri May 01, 2009 1:14 am

As I have mentioned before, I am a big fan of Syncline winery (located in the Columbia Gorge, WA). I particularly like their Rosé, and pre-ordered a case of it this year. I was not at all disappointed in the 2008 Syncline Columbia Valley Rosé, which released the first week of April. This wine is a saignée of 44% Cinsault, 30% Grenache, 17% Mourvedre and 9% Counoise. It is dry, fruity, complex and very flavorful; an altogether delightful wine for the upcoming warm weather. (600+ cases made, 13.8% ABV, $15)

The winery typically sells out of their Rosé by mid-June. If you like good quality Rosé, and you are lucky enough to live in an area where this wine is distributed, you should act soon.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: 2008 Syncline Rosé

by Clint Hall » Fri May 01, 2009 2:08 am

Ditto. I drank a glass of the rose last night at a Syncline wine dinner last night at Portage restaurant in Seattle's Queen Anne district. The wine is consistently one of the top roses in the state and this year's version is one of the best the winery has made. I'll buy some.

The dinner started with a 2008 Gruner Veltliner from Columbia Gorge's three-year old five-acre Underwood Mountain Vineyard, the only Gruner vineyard in the state, according to the winemaker. In a blind tasting I wouldn't have identified it as a Gruner (or anything else) but maybe future vintages will develop varietal character. Following the rose were two Syncline reds, the 2007 Subduction Red, a successful blend of Cinsault, Grenache, Mourvedre and Counoise from Columbia Valley, a favorite with my fellow diners although I found the residual sugar excessive, and a 2007 Mourvedre, 100% Mourvedre from Horse Heaven Hills Coyote Canyon, a persuasive argument for blending. The dessert was accompanied by a tasty 2007 Late Harvest Viognier, Horse Heaven Hills.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat May 02, 2009 2:35 am

We opened a bottle of the 2006 Syncline Subduction Red (among many other bottles) at a gathering at our home last Saturday. I do not recall a residual sugar problem with that wine. I have not tried the 2007 vintage yet, but I find your comment surprising. This winery is not known for producing sweet table wines. -- Clark
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sat May 02, 2009 9:14 pm

Clark, I wouldn't call the Subduction Red so off-dry it should be called a "problem." And, no, Syncline isn't noted for excessive residual sugar. I was a little surprised, too.

Bought a couple of bottles of the rose today. That should fill our quota of non-sparkling pinkies for the year unless my wife demands more.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Hope I run into a bottle of this around town. I *do* like roses and the one bottle I believe I've had of Syncline doesn't match either of your impressions of it (but we've had this talk before).

Btw, just spent Thursday through Sunday in Walla Walla, my first trip. Tasted a number of nice and lively roses but only came home with one: Trey Busch's Sleight-of-Hand from 100% Cab Franc. Will post notes as time allows....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue May 05, 2009 3:04 pm

Jenise, I hope you'll post on the other wines you tried in Walla Walla.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2009 3:43 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Jenise, I hope you'll post on the other wines you tried in Walla Walla.

JC! You're back! (hug)

And you bet I will. It was a great trip--and the spring barrel tasting, so a lot of tasting rooms were open that usually aren't, and we winged invitations to several private parties, too. Came home with a lot more wine than I expected to.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed May 06, 2009 12:51 am

Jenise wrote:Btw, just spent Thursday through Sunday in Walla Walla, my first trip. Tasted a number of nice and lively roses but only came home with one: Trey Busch's Sleight-of-Hand from 100% Cab Franc. Will post notes as time allows....

I would be curious to know how the Sleight-of-Hand Cabernet Franc Rosé compares to the one made by Chinook. The latter has also been one of my favorites for several years.

We haven't been back to Walla Walla since 2006. We had a trip planned last October, but cancelled when I came down with bronchitis. UGH!! When last there, we spent 2 hours with Trey Busch at Basel Cellars, so I am anxious to visit him again at SOH. By chance, did you visit Ensemble Cellars at the airport? The winemaker there, Craig Nelsen, is a friend of ours from Gig Harbor. His Release Two blend was named best Bordeaux blend over $20 by Seattle magazine a year ago. Really good stuff.

Came home with a lot more wine than I expected to.

Was this really a surprise? Now, really ... when was the last time you came back from such a trip with *less* wine than expected? :P

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 06, 2009 11:04 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:I would be curious to know how the Sleight-of-Hand Cabernet Franc Rosé compares to the one made by Chinook. The latter has also been one of my favorites for several years.

It's lighter bodied, zippier. Kay goes for a richer, more extracted style at Chinook.

Yes I did visit Ensemble. How much did I like the wine? Well, I bought two bottles of Release Three and signed up for Release Four.

Was this really a surprise? Now, really ... when was the last time you came back from such a trip with *less* wine than expected? :P

Actually, I managed to spend four days in Paso Robles and only buy six bottles, so I have proof that I can be selective even though it's easy to get caught up in the moment once there, I know. But I really don't NEED more wine, and if anything need NOT to be spending on anything but home construction right now, so I really honestly planned to buy very little and no more than two bottles of anything even though at most places I was getting a substantial discount over prices to the general public.