The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: mostly 05/06 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

arnie del rosario

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:48 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: mostly 05/06 Bordeaux

by arnie del rosario » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm

I got invited to PWX, one of the better local wine shops in Manila, for the first of a series of tastings of mostly 05 and 06 Bordeaux. Since our groups resident writer Jay Labrador was able to attend, I guess I have to be the one to document the event. We were asked to pick our top 5 wines and to identify any wines we didnt like from the 18 bottles opened. In the order tasted:

Les Hauts de Smith White 2006 (Pessac Leognan)- the only white wine tasted; pale yellow; earthy mushroom nose, complex layers of sweetness and acidity with a very dry backbone; somewhat abrupt finish but otherwise Good

Ch Larrivaux 2006 (Cru Bourgeois - Haut Medoc) - old world nose; closed and very dry with a long acidic finish. I didnt like this

Vieux Ch Saint Andre 2006 (Montagne Saint Emilion) - weak nose; austere, dry and tannic; short finish. Didnt like this either

Les Hauts de Smith Red 2005 (Pessac Leognan) - nicely rounded, smooth, dark choco finish, just slightly hot. Tied for my #2-3.

Ch Lanessan 2003 (Haut Medoc) - started out with an acid nose, approach and finish; very tannic; however improved a lot after two hours in the glass

Ch Cantemerle 2006 (GCC Haut Medoc) - nose of bitter chocolate and berries; soft and nice on the palate with a long finish. Good wine but didnt make my top 5

Ch de Sales 2005 (Pomerol) - ruby color; berry nose with a slight hint of barnyard; full bodied, nicely rounded, Ready now

Ch de Sales 2006 (Pomerol) - interestingly almost identical to the 2005 but without the barnyard "stink". Tied for my # 2-3

Un Amour de Mondot 2004 (Saint Emilion) - Barnyard nose; very soft but with a nice finish.

Ch Lalande Borie 2005 (St Julien) - nice choco/berry nose; full bodied nicely rounded; dark chocolate with a hint of acidity at the end. My #4

Ch Mondesir 2005 (Cotes de Blaye) - "green" nose; fine tannins, good balance. Good wine but didnt make my top 5

Le Bourdeaux Maucaillou 2005 (Bordeaux Superior) - nice, slighly sweet, almost new world nose; some sweetness but good fruit, structure and balance. lasting finish. Very good for a Bordeaux Superior. My #5

Domaine de Baron Arques 2004 (Limoux) - weird "lifted" nose, dark choco and cherries. long finish

Ch Tour Haut Caussan 2005 (Cru Bourgeois - Medoc) - green vegetal nose (green peppers?); fruity but lacks "focus"; unbalanced. Didnt like this one.

Ch Brown 2003 (Pessac Leognan) - Nice complex nose but otherwise found it too closed; the others at the tasting seemed to really like this wine though

Ch Les Tres Croix 2005 (Fronsac) - very weak nose; light and drinkable

Ch Saint Georges Cote Pavie 2006 (GCC St Emilion) - nice complex nose of leather and berries; chocolate, spice and dark berries; soft approachable tannins, nice long finish. My # 1

Tronquoy de Sainte Anne 2005 (St Estephe) - lacks depth, even slightly watery. Didnt like this one.

I can't wait til the next session!