The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Seppeltsfield stickies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

arnie del rosario

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:48 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Seppeltsfield stickies

by arnie del rosario » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Had an opportunity to do a tasting of advance samples of Seppeltsfield dessert wines that Philippine Wine Merchants will soon be selling locally. I am glad that Seppelt stickies have finally found their way to our shores. These are among the best dessert wines from Australia, and the PARA, for one, is legendary (the even have a 100-year old version, but it costs more than $ 2,000 a bottle!). In the order tasted (all bottles 750ml excdept the Grand Muscat which came in a 500 ml bottle, prices given will be the Manila retail prices):

Seppeltsfield Cellar No 7 Tawny (US$ 27) - dark amber, hot on the nose; nutty and floral, but not too sweet, slightly hot, short finish. Nice

Seppeltsfield PARA Grand NV (US$ 42) - light reddish brown, sweet walnut nose; nicely balanced with just the right amount of sweetness, very long nutty finish. Excellent with the manchego cheese we had. For a 10-year tawny, this is quite impressive and comes close to the best tawny port I have ever tried - a 30 year old Taylors. My favorite wine of the four.

Seppeltsfield Cellar No 9 Muscat (US$ 27) - reddish brown; complex nose of caramel with hints of flowers and citrus; heavy syrup with a tinge of acidity; long pleasant finish

Seppeltsfield Grand Muscat Rutherglen (US$ 42) - dark brown, floral caramel nose; lighter than the No 9 but more complex, wonderful lingering finish. Reminded us of the Morris Old Premium Liquour Tokay I brought back from a trip to Australia some years back. My second fave wine.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Seppeltsfield stickies

by Ian Sutton » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Arnie
Interesting to see these labelled (albeit technically correctly) as Seppeltsfield, as the only ones I'd seen before went under the shortened Seppelt name. Whatever, yes they're certainly fine wines.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:31 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Arnie
Interesting to see these labelled (albeit technically correctly) as Seppeltsfield, as the only ones I'd seen before went under the shortened Seppelt name. Whatever, yes they're certainly fine wines.
regards
Ian

My rather vague understanding of the sale of the physical (Barossa valley) premises and wine stocks by Foster's to the Killikanoon team included the rights to the name 'Seppeltsfield', hence the labelling.
The now-Victorian-dominant brand 'Seppelt' is retained by Foster's, of course.
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:10 pm

Excellent tasting. I adore the Grand Muscats from Rutherglen. If people have not tried them yet, I strongly recommend picking one up and serving it with a rich winter dessert.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 am

Graeme Gee wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:Arnie
regards
Ian

My rather vague understanding of the sale of the physical (Barossa valley) premises and wine stocks by Foster's to the Killikanoon team included the rights to the name 'Seppeltsfield', hence the labelling.
The now-Victorian-dominant brand 'Seppelt' is retained by Foster's, of course.
cheers,
Graeme

Graeme
Indeed of course that stacks up - this being the physical change following the sell-off.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster