The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spain, Italy and one from Oz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Spain, Italy and one from Oz

by Jay Labrador » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am

Notes from lunch at Cafe Ysabel featuring some samples given to Aaron for possible distribution in the Philippines.

Freixenet Cava Cuvee DS 2004 - Rich and flavorful. Good fruit but a bit short. A good cava.

Fra Guerau Montsant Rose 2007 - Syrah, Merlot and Tempranillo. Very dark for rose. Very dry and little woody. Abrupt finish. A hefty wine. Good but nothing special.

Sierra Cantabria Crianza 2005 - From Rioja. Fragrant wood and roasting meat on the nose. Notably high acidity gives it "lift" and balances the wine's weight. Savory and mouth-watering. Sour cherry. There is just the barest suggestion of oak coming through. Maybe another year in bottle will integrate the wood thoroughly. Well-balanced. Very good.

Rene Barbier Gran Reserva 1999 - A little musty and a little bit of prune showing off this wine's age. This has a silky chocolate mouthfeel and a bit of spice on the palate. The finish is surprisingly firm. I'm not convinced the fruit will last as long as the tannins. May be best to drink this sooner than later. Good.

Portia Ribera del Duero 2004 - I didn't note any designation on this bottle so I don't know if this was reserva, crianza or some other designation. Sweet fruits and berries. Soft. Quite pleasant and forward. Uncomplicated. A good quaffer.

Casa Brancaia Ilatraia 2006 - Maremma, Toscana IGT of Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese and Petit Verdot. Very sweet nose. Dried fruit and raspberry syrup. A bit oaky but age will probably integrate the wood well. Modern but well made and polished. Very good.

Valdubon Reserva 2003 - Ribera del Duero. Smoke and pepper. Good sweet fruit. A little oaky. Soft. Coffee. This shows complexity but somehow it just didn't do anything for me.

Brancaia Tre 2006 - IGT Toscana of Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Spicy, good fruit but quite tannic. This shows some potential but is rather closed now. Will probably be very good.

Chateau Pouget 2005 Margaux - Rather dark. Dark berries. Slightly burnt nose but sweet fruit on the palate. Firm wine but drinking well now. Good.

Schild Estate Ben Schild Reserve Shiraz 2005 - Very dark. Rich and spicy. Bittersweet chocolate. Dryish and bitter on the finish. Didn't like it.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.