The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Torrentes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Liz Gray

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

San Jose

Torrentes

by Liz Gray » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 pm

I recently had a spectacular 2006 Torrentes from Cicchitti Winery in Mendoza, Argentina. It was peachy with a rather surprising Concord grape flavour. I have sadly not been able to find out much information about it online. I'm curious if anybody knows anything about it?
Just because I am cynical, doesn't mean I'm wrong. (tm)
http://www.elizabeth-gray.net
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Torrentes

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:58 pm

I don't know this producer but the grape is spelled Torrontes (or Torrontés), maybe that'll help your search.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 pm

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:02 am

I made my first acquaintance with this grape variety at a tasting last Saturday when I came across this example offering brilliant QPR.

Torrontes 2008 – Domaine Borbore, Argentine – (€6) showed some mismatch between nose and palate; the former was spicy and floral and the latter attractively mineral and lively acidity; very nice though; 15.5/20 QPR!!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 am

Torrontés is a homonym: there are a few (related) torrontés varieties in Argentina, there's (unrelated) torrontés in Galicia, Spain and there's (again, unrelated) torrontés in Spain's Canary Islands, also called terrantez on Portugal's Madeira island.

The Argentine torrontés, mostly grown in the Salta region, was the first quality grape cultivar of the Vitis vinifera family ever originated in the Americas. Just as the natural crosses of cultivars that occurred in the field in Europe (such as sauvignon blanc X cabernet franc to produce cabernet sauvignon, or pinot X gouais blanc to produce chardonnay and several other varieties, or mondeuse blanche X dureza to produce syrah), cross pollination in the vineyards of colonial Argentina, possibly in the 18th century, between two European cultivars, muscat of Alexandria and the Canary Islands' listán prieto, produced torrontés. This was discovered rather recently, using Dr. Carole Meredith's DNA fingerprinting techniques.

Listán prieto is probably the same as the grape currently known as listán negro in the Canary Islands, and is locally known as criolla chica. It's the same as Chile's país and California's mission grape.

Torrontés riojano, among the various listán X muscat crosses that occurred in Argentina, is the one with the greatest potential for quality winemaking, and is the one planted in Salta.