The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Thelema Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2001 Thelema Cabernet Sauvignon

by Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Friends invited us over for a steak dinner last night, so with South Africa on the brain I chose a 2001 Thelema Cab Sauv to take along. We decanted it about 30 minutes before dinner.

I don't know if that wasn't quite enough time or if the wine is simply a bit past it's best day, and drinking it through dinner didn't provide illumination. It was good, but it never seemed to entirely open up to what I believed it's potential to be a few years ago. That is, the fruit lagged behind the tannins throughout the meal, and though there's some obvious secondary development in the way of leather and all, there wasn't a lot of complexity beyond blackberry fruit and green bell pepper.

If I had to take bets...I dunno. I have two more bottles--would be inclined to leave them rather than drink them, and hope for a better day down the road.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2001 Thelema Cabernet Sauvignon

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:30 pm

If the fruit has fallen behind the tannin you are never going to get better balance, just a wine that is eviscerated by time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:If the fruit has fallen behind the tannin you are never going to get better balance, just a wine that is eviscerated by time.

I know that's the common wisdom which is why I mentioned the lag. I just don't want to hear it. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Jenise wrote: I just don't want to hear it. :)

Then I'll say it louder :twisted:

If the fruit has fallen behind the tannin you are never going to get better balance, just a wine that is eviscerated by time
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Putting fingers in my ears...LA LA LA LA LA LA