The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

There's a sucker born every minute

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

There's a sucker born every minute

by Ryan M » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:45 am

Honestly, I thought people would know better by now (look closely at the initials engraved on the bottle):

http://www.winecommune.com/lot.cfm/wine ... 38271.html

No great risk I suppose, since its not going for much, but I did send a message to winecommune about it.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: There's a sucker born every minute

by Tom Troiano » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:38 am

OK, I'll ask the stupid questions....

What Chateau do they want us to believe this is?

Why are you certain its a fake?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 am

Tom - have you read The Billionaire's Vinegar.

The Thomas Jefferson bottles are fakes, empty or full.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:49 am

I didn't see anything relating to Jefferson at that link. What am I missing?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:53 am

Tom Troiano wrote:OK, I'll ask the stupid questions....

What Chateau do they want us to believe this is?

Why are you certain its a fake?

Tom T.

Hello Tom,

I don't think they probably know what Chateau it is. The reason I believe it's a fake is because of the initials on the bottle: Th.J. = Thomas Jefferson. As far as I know, most of the Jefferson bottles are believed to be fakes. Furthermore, IIRC, his letters indicate that he would have the word chateau engraved only on the best bottles, with the full name of the chateau, while the others would just get the initials of the chateau. That and the claim of the wine being "divine:" None even of genuine 18th century red Bordeaux that has turned up has proven to be enjoyable in the usual sense of the word. Furthermore, the seller implies that he has tasted another bottle - even if it were a genuine Jefferson bottle, there's no way he'd have two of them, or be willing to let them go for nothing (considering that a few of those bottles hold the all time auction records). The lack of information, and the fishy nature of the bottle, leads me to conclude that either that the seller doesn't have a clue what he's got (and its probably a fake anyway), or he's knows it's a fake and is trying to sucker someone.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:43 am

Now I undestand. Maybe its my computer/monitor but I can't really see the "J" in the initials.

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Now I undestand. Maybe its my computer/monitor but I can't really see the "J" in the initials.

Tom T.

You can't see all of the J because the it cuts off at the edge of the image, but if you examine it, especially in the context of the Th part, its obviously a J.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Tom - have you read The Billionaire's Vinegar.

The Thomas Jefferson bottles are fakes, empty or full.

Great book. Highly recommended.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri May 01, 2009 9:11 am

... and my understanding is that knowingly selling a fake is an offence, indeed there are IIRC only a limited number of instances where acknowledging it was a fake in the sale material would allow you to sell it (e.g. some antiques?) For instance you can't sell fake Rolex watches, even if you acknowledge they are fake copies. Others may know local law better than me, but I would suggest that wine-commune ought to pull the item pronto.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri May 01, 2009 9:40 am

Ian Sutton wrote:... and my understanding is that knowingly selling a fake is an offence, indeed there are IIRC only a limited number of instances where acknowledging it was a fake in the sale material would allow you to sell it (e.g. some antiques?) For instance you can't sell fake Rolex watches, even if you acknowledge they are fake copies. Others may know local law better than me, but I would suggest that wine-commune ought to pull the item pronto.

regards

Ian

That's how I felt, an maybe even ban the seller. But I only stumbled upon it when there was about 3 hours to go in the auction.
Galileo Galilei