The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: 04 Benegas Sangiovese and 05 Benegas Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: 04 Benegas Sangiovese and 05 Benegas Syrah

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:41 am

2004 Benegas Sangiovese Finca Libertad Costa del Alto Rio Mendoza 15.0%
100% Sangiovese. Winemaker: Federico Benegas Lynch. Winemaker consultant: Michel Rolland. 12 months in French oak. Pleasant cherry aromas with a hint of cloves and thyme. With air, a curious sour horseradish note emerges, which I like. In the mouth this shows its 15% alcohol, coming across as hot and spicy, the fruit becoming less cherry and more plum, with a sweet alcohol edge. Oak, however, is well integrated. Very light tannins and insufficient acidity – normally a hallmark of Sangiovese – mean insufficient grip for food, but make for a pleasant wine to sip.

2005 Benegas Syrah Finca Libertad Costa del Alto Rio Mendoza 15.0%
100% Syrah from Cruz de Piedra, Maipú, Mendoza. Winemaker: Federico Benegas Lynch. Winemaker consultant: Michel Rolland. 12 months in French oak. Nose is more open and jammy than the preceding, showing very ripe cherry fruit and attractive leather and chocolate notes. Mouth feel is peppery and hot, with insufficient acidity and tannins. Oak is again well integrated, but this is way too cloying for me. It is becoming all too familiar that high alcohol leads to impressive aromatics at the cost of elements in the mouth that make for good food wine. Heat is not grip.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.