The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Jean-Marc Morey Santenay 'La Comme Dessus'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: 2005 Jean-Marc Morey Santenay 'La Comme Dessus'

by David Z » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Beautiful pure pale red in the glass. But the first whiff is of coffee oak, and the second whiff is even more oak and only with heavy swirling can I coax out any raspberry aromas. I taste it, and the oak treatment crushes the fruit....this isn't particularly tannic, and the fruit smells pure and red, so why the heavy oak, and why from a Rosenthal CdB producer?

After 20 min or so, the mystery is untangled. I catch a whiff of it ...then as soon as I notice the whiff, suddenly its everywhere. Corked, and it must be really corked b/c I'm not sensitive to TCA at all. If I can smell the TCA then the sensitive guy can smell it across the room.

Alas.

$28, which would be good QPR if it wasn't flawed. Bought it recently enough that hopefully I can exchange for a clean bottle.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: WTN: 2005 Jean-Marc Morey Santenay 'La Comme Dessus'

by David Z » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:13 am

A second, clean bottle of this was dynamite. A bit too much oak when first opened, but it blew off with air. The wine was surprisingly ripe but never overripe. Lots of raspberry fruit, a lot of sappiness for a Santenay, some oak spice and caramel, not much tannin, a rounder mouthfeel than a typical Burg.
Not a long-ager, but terrific for drinking now.