The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need reccos for South African wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Need reccos for South African wines

by Jenise » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:36 pm

I'm buying for next month's neighborhood tasting and would appreciate any input anyone has on the following selections, which are available to me. Each shows the whole sale price; I'll pay a little more than that but not a lot more. Asterisks indicate wines I've had and thought well of, though not neccessarily that vintage.

*Meerlust 03 Merlot, 18
*Meerlust 04 Rubicon 20
*Rust en Vrede 03 Shiraz, 18
*Rust en Vrede 04 Cab, 18
*Rust en Vrede 05 Merlot, 13
*Rust en Vrede 04 Red, 30
Engelbrecht Else 03 and 05 Red, 26
Cirrus 04 Syrah, 41
Grant Constantin 06 SB, 14
Grant Constantin 03 Governors reserve red, 28
Neils Verbing 04 Shiraz 30
*Boekenhoutskloof 06 Cab and 06 syrah, 34
*Boekenhoutskloof 07 Chocolate Block, 28
Brampton 06 Rose, 07 SB and Chard and 05 Viognier, 8
Brampton 05 shiraz and 05 cabernet, 10
*Buitenverwachting 08 Beyond SB, 11
" Rhine 05 Riesling, 7
" SB, 12
" 05 chardonnay, 14
*De Toren 05 Fusion V, 31
De Toren 04 Z Blend, 21
Excelsior Estate 08 Cabernet and 08 Chardonnay, 7
All the Fairview wines
Foundry 06 Viognier, 14
Graham Beck, pretty much the whole line
*Hamilton Russell 07 chard and 07 pinot at 19 and 28 respectively
Indaba 08 chard and 07 Chenin, 8
Indaba 07 Merlot and 08 Shiraz, 8
Kanonkop 07 Kadette 10
*Kanonkop 08 pinotage 23
*Kanonkop 03 Paul Suaer 28
Kanu 07 Chenin, 7
Kanu 05 SB, 10
*Ken Forrester 05 Chenin, 12
Man chenin, chard, SB, cabernet, shiraz and pinotage, all 7
Mulderbosch 07 chenin 11
*Mulderbosch 07 SB 15
Mulderbosch 05 Fiathful Hunt 17
Neil Ellis 07 Sinceerely SB 8
Neil Ellis 06 Sincerely Shiraz 8
Neil Ellis Left Bank 07, 10
Neil Ellis 04 Cabernet and 04 Shiraz, 16
Neil Ellis 03 Cab/Merlot 14
Neil Ellis 07 Sauv Blanc 13
Neil Ellis 07 pinotage, 14
Neil Ellis 05 Vineyard Series Cabernet, 31
*Rustenberg 07 chard, 14
*Rustenberg 05 John X Merriman 22
Rustenberg 05 Five Soldiers Chard, 28
*Rustenberg 04 Peter Barlow 35
Sanctum 02 Shiraz, 46
Southern Righyt 07 Sauv Blanc 10
Southern Right 07 pinotage 15
Spice Route 07 Chenin 12
Spice Route 06 Mouvedre 14
Spice Route 05 Shiraz 14
Spice Route 06 Viognier 15
Spice Route 07 pinotage 15
Spice Route 04 Malabar 45
Spice Route 00 Flagship Merlot 14
Spice route 07 Chekalaka 17, on sale for 14
Stark Conde 05 Cabernet 16
Stark Conde 05 Syrah 16
Stark Conde 04 Conde Syrah 24
Teddy Hall 05 Chenin, 8
*Thelema 04 Merlot 21
*Thelema 07 Sauv Blanc 14
Thelema 04 chard 17
*Thelema 03 Cabernet 29
Vilafonte 04 C Series 45
Vilafonte 03 M series and 04 M series, 34
Warwick 07 Sauv Blanc 14
Warwick 05 Pinotage 15
*Warwick Three Cape Ladies 17, on sale for 12
Wolftrap 08 Rose, 8
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Need reccos for South African wines

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:46 pm

Hopefully someone who really knows can comment.
I haven't had the '05, but the de Toren Fusion V is generally an excellent wine (I see you've liked it before, too).
The Mulderbosch I think is a misprint, it's Faithful Hound. Again,not had '05, but generally found it a pretty decent Bdx blend for $20. We have almost every year for the Basset's birthday tea.
Meerlust Rubicon is ok.
I'm a bad commenter on SA, as I really don't like Pinotage.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Meerlust Rubicon - buy it, give it LOTS of air (if you're opening young), then buy a bunch more to age.
Boekenhoutskloof - BUY!
Mulderbosch and Ken Forrester Chenin - very very good value.
Spice Route Shiraz - heard many good things, haven't tried it but probably worth trying one.
Warwick Cape 3 Ladies - again, buy.

Where are you finding all of these btw?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:20 pm

I think for a tasting of SA wines (and I give a lot of them) you need to have representatives of the two varieties special to SA, i.e Chenin Blanc and Pinotage. I'm surprised to see Kanonkop Pinotage 2008 since I didn't think that had been bottled yet.

There's no obvious Chenin stunners. Yes, Forrester makes one with the FMC Chenin but he also makes a whole range of basic others meant for young drinking and 05 is getting on. Teddy Hall is a leading exponent of Chenin -- for his Rudera label -- but his own named brand is a much more simple affair, and again its a bit long in tooth 05.

For Pinotage, go for the Spice Route 07, Southern Right 07, or Warwick 05.

Again, the Engelbrecht Els seems bargain priced.

The Warwick 07 Professor Black Sauv Blanc is good.

I've really enjoyed the Spice Route 04 Malabar in the past, but the Spice route 07 Chekalaka is similar at a much better QPR (you didn't mention your budget)

I'm a great fan of Niels Verburg of Luddite. I'm assuming this refers - Niels Verbing 04 Shiraz. Niels tastes his 2004 with Gary Vaynerchuck here http://tv.winelibrary.com/2006/11/28/ga ... isode-135/ Niels told me his 2004 met favour in the US.

Hamilton Russell 07 chard and 07 pinot

$20 seems an amazing bargain for the Meerlust 04 Rubicon when the Rustenbirg John X Merriman is $22 -- usually the X is half the price: personally I preferred Meerlust 2nd label 'Red' 2004 better at half the price, but can't hesitate at price you have
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:29 pm

What about Sauvignon Blanc, Jenise?

The first South African Sauvignon Blanc I ever tried blew me away - it was a Vergelegen (unoaked).

Another one that really scared the daylights out of me was Steenberg. It came second in a tasting of 6 NZ and 6 South African SB's that I conducted in 2002. Not sure what these producers are like now, though.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Boekenhoutskloof also makes Porcupine Ridge, right? The syrah is nice and meaty, and very reasonably priced.

The '05 John X. Merriman is absolutely gorgeous.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:35 pm

Jenise

This was a post I made last year after a trip to SA. Whilst there I was luck enough to be in Jo'burg at the time of their annual wine expo. The other wine I adore out of SA is Sadie Columella. I had the 2003 at a Cape Town restaurant last year and believe it is oneof the best reds from that country that I have tried so far. Since then, I have purchased a few of the 06 for the cellar.

"Like Scribbler, I had a great time in SA. First of all many thanks to Grant for a great introduction to Haskell Wine. Rianie, the winemaker is passionate about her wines and will happy spend an hour or so talking you through her superbly made wines. So first up if you get to Stollenbosh, head to Annadalee road with Haskell at the top of the road on the right hand fork. http://www.haskellvineyards.com/index.jsp

They make a superb Boulder Rd Shiraz. The 05 pick up double gold which I am told in SA is a very good thing with two golds being better than one. Very much in a cooler climate style, soft tannins and red cherry flavours supported by white pepper notes. Excellent drop and just sad I had to give my bottle to the lovely lady at Customs in SA because I forgot you can no longer take bottles on board planes.

Also tried two very different chardonnay. The 05 having gone through malo treatment whilst the 06 had none. Of the two, I preferred the 05 with its butterscotch palate and suspect in future they may do a 50/50 mix. The 06 being more in the linear citrus new world style.

Further down the mountain, we also stopped in Ernie Els winery. No sign of the Man but a very impressive set up with stunning views from the tables set out the front on the patio. Tried all the wines but the one to go for is their flagship drop names after Ernie: Ernie Els. Excellent bordeaux style this wine is no shrinking violet. big French oak, long cassis palate, cigar box and even some pencil shaving for those that seek pencils. The one bottle I did get back through those diligent men and women at Australian Customs will go to the back of the cellar for the next 15 years. The other main wines being the Proprietors blend of cab/shiraz was ok but not up to similar Aus styles of this blend. Also next door so to speak was the wellknow and justly so Rust en Verde. Lovely cab sav style and worth a bottle or two with one of the BIG steak the boks spend all their time eating.

At the bottom of the hill was the historic Weberburg Wines with its white washed Cape Town buildings dating back to 1796. Fantastic lodging for those seeking some where to stay. The straight Cab Sav was a good wine without being exceptional. Slightly two dimensional and lacking in fruit and comlexity, it is still nevertheless worth a visit.

With a business partner who is passionate about his wines and a cellar to match, the 10 days produced a great intro into South African wines. Firstt up Chardonays. My pick of the tour was a superb drop by Ataraxia. Apparently the wine of the moment in SA and with good reason, it is in built in the Leewin Estate style, great length, with stunning citrus flavours and excellent length structure. I would happy put this up against any modern Aus style Chard.

Next and a completely different style was the Springfield Estate Methode Ancienne. As John Platter describes it, "extreme winemaking taken to the extreme limit... "inspired by ancient Burgundy" and a native yeast ferment. This wine caused huge debate at the table. The host hated, I loved it and the others were just confused. Any forumites out in SA have to give it a crack if only once.

Other excellent Chardonnays, the Jordan Nine Yards Reserve, one of the granddaddys of the SA wine biz. Big new world style, excellent grape selection with great comlexity and length and fuller overall style. Of worth tracking down Bouchard Finlayson Croc Liar Chard and Hamilton Russell Chardonnay. The latter having undergone malo but retained elegance.

In terms of riesling, these are very much out of fashion although I did try a very good 98 rielsing from Klein Constania with German like residual sweetness.

The other big grape category is the Pinotage. This was really interesting. Top of the list for me was the Diemersfontein with its amazing chocolate covered coffee bean style although one winemaker was kind enough to inform me this wine was developed for the masses and undermined the intregity of the grape ( sounded like sour grapes to me). Also tried some older Pinotage care of friends. The Kanonkop 92 Pinotage shows that this wine if well made can easily last 20 years. At this age, the tannins have softened and the wine takes on a subtle complexity built around its choc/coffee flavours.

The one observation from an evening at the WineX is that Brett remains a major problem for many wineries. A number of the wines at the show had that whiffy barnyard nose that is thankfully missing from Aus wines. I have never really understood this condition when raised by the Brettanazis on this site but I really understood it after an hour of random tasting in SA. I asked a couple of winemakers and most were prepared to admit in the older wineries this problem is more common than most would be prepared to admit"
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Jenise,

I have had a few of the Fairview wines. They offered quite solid QPR's. Their single vinyard Solitude Shiraz was very good.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:26 am

Jenise wrote:Cirrus 04 Syrah, 41

First off, I have very little experience with SA wines. However, was in a local shop lately where I know the owner well and he pulled out the 05 of this and poured it for me blind. The wine is huge but did not taste overblown. I was shocked to find that it had been open for 2 days as I showed no signs of oxidation. Not sure if this wine is at all representative of the region. Liked it enough to take his last 3 bottles but I got them cheaper than you quote wholesale.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:27 am

Sue Courtney wrote:What about Sauvignon Blanc, Jenise?

The first South African Sauvignon Blanc I ever tried blew me away - it was a Vergelegen (unoaked).

Another one that really scared the daylights out of me was Steenberg. It came second in a tasting of 6 NZ and 6 South African SB's that I conducted in 2002. Not sure what these producers are like now, though.

Cheers,
Sue

For me, Vergelegen is a top tier producer of South African wines, but the importer we've got here doesn't bring them in. :(

Agreed about the savvies--love South African Sauv Blancs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:40 am

Mark Kogos wrote:Jenise

This was a post I made last year after a trip to SA. Whilst there I was luck enough to be in Jo'burg at the time of their annual wine expo. The other wine I adore out of SA is Sadie Columella.

Mark, thanks so much, that's a good read. Was especially interesting to read the commentary about brett, as I've experienced that in a disproportionate number of SA wines. Re the Sadie, that's not on this list but the white blend Palladius is, and wonderful as I know that wine to be, I know that for this group that price is an absolute no-go for a white wine. Wholesale price is in the 40's.

Springfield you mention. Their Life From Stone is one of my favorite Sauv Blancs, not just from South Africa but on the planet. A shame that this importer I'm stuck with doesnt handle their wines.

You and Pete have me talked into the Ernie Els, so thank you very much. The golfers in the group will be excited about that.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:19 am

Jenise wrote: A shame that this importer I'm stuck with doesnt handle their wines.

Devising a great tasting is easy if you don't have any budget constraints and can get every wine and vintage that you desire.

Unfortunately it never works that way and every tasting is a compromise.

The Kanonkop Paul Sauer i2003 s worth consideration. Winemaker Abrie Beeslaar won IWSC Winemaker of the year and Kanonkop the Pichonlalande trophy as best winery for the third time, only one to win three times.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:38 am

Well, you've *d the Hamilton Russell, but I would second their Pinot. I've had it a few times and enjoyed it.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:43 am

James Dietz wrote:Well, you've *d the Hamilton Russell, but I would second their Pinot. I've had it a few times and enjoyed it.

Thanks for the nudge--that's going in for sure, and I'll pair it with a pinotage. Probably the Spice Route as Peter reccomends it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am

Dale Williams wrote:I haven't had the '05, but the de Toren Fusion V is generally an excellent wine (I see you've liked it before, too).
The Mulderbosch I think is a misprint, it's Faithful Hound. Again,not had '05, but generally found it a pretty decent Bdx blend for $20. We have almost every year for the Basset's birthday tea.
Meerlust Rubicon is ok.
I'm a bad commenter on SA, as I really don't like Pinotage.

Yes re the Fusion V. Bill Spohn's lunch group has treated me to aged bottles of that a number of times, and upon each occasion I wonder why I don't have any in my cellar. (The answer is that I've never seen it for sale before.)

Love that Lucy gets Faithful Hound opened in her honor.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 am

Peter May wrote:
Jenise wrote: A shame that this importer I'm stuck with doesnt handle their wines.

Devising a great tasting is easy if you don't have any budget constraints and can get every wine and vintage that you desire.

The Kanonkop Paul Sauer i2003 s worth consideration. Winemaker Abrie Beeslaar won IWSC Winemaker of the year and Kanonkop the Pichonlalande trophy as best winery for the third time, only one to win three times.

Peter, you're so right about both budget and compromises. I'm there.

The Paul Sauer--that's a Bdx blend, IIRC?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:47 am

I haven't had the 2007 Boekenhoutskloof Syrah Porcupine Ridge, but at about $9 (Hi Times), it came well recommended...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:20 pm

I'd suggest the Spice Route Viognier and Mourdevre, Neil Ellis SB "Sincerely" and the MAN Vintners Chenin Blanc. The Three Cape Ladies is a good intro to Pinotage, pretty ripe and a blend, so as not to shock those who are not used to Pinotage.

Also, what about desserts? The Kanu Kia-Ora always turns a few heads!
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:09 pm

MtBakerDave wrote:I'd suggest the Spice Route Viognier and Mourdevre, Neil Ellis SB "Sincerely" and the MAN Vintners Chenin Blanc. The Three Cape Ladies is a good intro to Pinotage, pretty ripe and a blend, so as not to shock those who are not used to Pinotage.

Also, what about desserts? The Kanu Kia-Ora always turns a few heads!

What is this Kanu Kia-Ora? With a name like that, anyone who knows Te Reo (Maori) would think it was a Kiwi wine.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:46 pm

James Dietz wrote:Well, you've *d the Hamilton Russell, but I would second their Pinot. I've had it a few times and enjoyed it.

I definitely want to try this next time I am over there. I keep reading good things about it.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Peter May wrote:

Peter

I was given a Paul Sauer from the early 90s recently. They do age beautifully.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:05 pm

jenise

As an absolute must, you should try to track down the Ataxaria chardonnay. It really is well made.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mark Kogos wrote:Jenise

Springfield you mention. Their Life From Stone is one of my favorite Sauv Blancs, not just from South Africa but on the planet. A shame that this importer I'm stuck with doesnt handle their wines.

You and Pete have me talked into the Ernie Els, so thank you very much. The golfers in the group will be excited about that.

One final thought, whilst I generally do not like Sav Blancs unless there is a very big Chateau very close to the vineyard, the best example I saw at the expo was from Cape Point. Talking to South African friends, they generally regard this as one of their best examples.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:10 am

Jenise wrote:

The Paul Sauer--that's a Bdx blend, IIRC?

Yes, thats their flagship label, named after a previous owner, the grandfather of the current owners.

Kanonkop make only four wines, all red; a Cape Blend called Kadette, a 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, a 100% Pinotage and the Paul Sauer. The last three are all have Estate appellation (i.e grown, made, matured and bottled on the Estate)

The 2003 Paul Sauer is 63 % Cabernet Sauvignon, 31 % Cabernet Franc and 6 % Merlot. -- there's a fact sheet on their website kanonkop.co.za

Kanonkop had a good year in 2008. In November 2008 at the International Wine and Spirits Competition (IWSC) Abrie Beeslaar, winemaker at Kanonkop won the Wolf Blass Trophy as International Winemaker of the Year, Kanonkop also received the Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande trophy for the best blended red wine with its Paul Sauer 2003, as well as the Dave Hughes Trophy for the Best South African Producer. Around the same time the newly released Platter 2009 Guide named it Winery of the Year and named its 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon as their Wine of the Year.
Next