The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN; Beau's Blues Monday: Chinon and Oak

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN; Beau's Blues Monday: Chinon and Oak

by Brian K Miller » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:54 am

2002 Olga Raffault Chinon "Les Picasses" Oof. After a week of drinking big, fruity Napa wines, this was a bit different. :P May have been slightly, slightly corked????? Still...definite dark cranberry fruit, very clean on the palate with good acidity. Some minerality/earthyness. very nice, if much lighter and tarter than I have been drinking lately :). 88 points.

2003 Emilio's Terrace Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville. Better fruit than the weekend's Hoopes Cabernet from the same vintage, with lovely cassis, cherry, anise, and a bit of tobacco. Not Rutherford-the cherry dominates the anise. Sadly, this wine needed the good, bold fruit to make up for the heavy, heavy hand with the oak. Almost sour with oak on the nose. Better on the palate, but do people really believe they need this much oak in a good Oakville cabernet? I guess Silver OAK sells 75,000 cases each year, so the answer is "yes." :? 84 points because the fruit underneath the oak was very nice. Will oak like this fully integrate, or will this simply always be a heavily oaky wine? Maybe I just opened this too early....?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach