The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Bordeaux at Kittle House

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 1999 Bordeaux at Kittle House

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:55 am

Jacques gathered a small group of friends at Crabtree's Kittle House last night. CKH has one of the greatest lists in metro area, but we were taking advantage of their excellent wine service to BYO. A few possible themes were thrown out, and we settled on 1999 Bordeaux.

Some police activity at my exit made me take the long way around, by the time I arrived the other three were all there, sipping a 1990 Friedrich-Wilhelm-Gymnasium Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spatlese . Apparent but not intense petrol, more Auslese level sweetness, yellow cling peaches and apricots. There's an acid backbone, but softer acids. I like but don't love. But I'm glad for the sweetness when they bring us an amuse of foie gras torchon. B

I order braised veal cheeks, followed by a lamb sampler with a double chop, braised neck, ravioli, braised baby fennel, etc. Nice stems, and the staff did a nice job with the wine service, except for one goof where after we moved around glasses a bit my glass of Palmer was topped off with a little LLC (they quickly whisked off, and poured me more Palmer, luckily with driving we had plenty).

1999 Monbousquet- there's still lots of oak here, a little smoky/toasty. Black plums with lots of coconut, some spice on palate. Just not my favorite style, but I thought this better than the 2000 , which is too extracted/hot for me. B/B-

1999 Palmer - just an absolutely great nose, complex, dreamy, rich. While nose is open and giving, it's just a bit tight on palate. Still, very good now, long future ahead, lives up to its rep as wine of the vintage. A-

1999 Leoville Las Cases- very forward for LLC, lush if not slutty. Pretty enjoyable now, probably my second favorite for current consumption, but I doubt this is getting better, I'd drink over next 5 years or so, B+

1999 La Mission Haut Brion- this is not giving a lot now, my least favorite for current consumption, but might challenge the Palmer in 10 years. Just tight, but you can sense the fruit and structure underneath. Including potential,. A-/B+

My general feeling on '99 is that it's a good comparatively early drinking vintage, and this didn't change that. The Palmer and the La Mish certainly have long lives ahead, and the La Mish actually needs time. But when LLC is giving and ready at 10, you know it's not a vintage for the ages. Still, lots of pleasure now and for next few years, with a few stars going much longer.

With our cheese plate (Ossau Iraty, Cashel Blue, Bourree, Red Lacaune, and a bonus cheese that I missed named of) Jacques also donated the 1997 Rieussec. Pineapple and orange marmalade, a bit of vanilla and caramel. Someone says its closed, but I actually think it's drinking pretty well right now. B+

Really fun night with people I like. We were moderate in our consumption, and when the light changed green at the parkway I waited till the Range Rover blew through at 65 before pulling out. :)

Thanks Jacques for organizing, Arv for his generosity, and Ian for bringing my WOTN.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

edited to add vineyard to the Riesling
Last edited by Dale Williams on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

Re: WTN: 1999 Bordeaux at Kittle House

by Jacques Levy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:07 am

Great notes, Dale. Not much to add and no disagreements. Like you, I enjoyed the Spatlese a lot but especially since we were served a foie gras amuse. The sweetness of the wine was perfect with the amuse. The Palmer was singing, the Las Cases was very lush and the La Mission was quite awkward; it probably needs another 5-6 years. I liked the Monbousquet a bit more than you but would not buy it. I thought the Rieussec showed very well.
The wine service, I thought was almost perfect. I've known that waiter for ten years, he always tries his best, and he was quite embarrassed with his goof.
A nice evening and I'm glad we went easy on a school night. See you soon.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri May 01, 2009 3:15 pm

It's good to read about some 1999 Bordeaux. A few of us are gathering in 3 weeks to open some, and, it doesn't look like we will overlap with the ones you just drank. It will be a good way for us to get an overview, albeit narrow, of the vintage.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 01, 2009 3:17 pm

This is making me think about a bottle of '99 Pichon Baron.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri May 01, 2009 3:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:This is making me think about a bottle of '99 Pichon Baron.

As I have no '99 Bordeaux to think of, I'm thinking of a Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese instead. ;)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:This is making me think about a bottle of '99 Pichon Baron.

As I have no '99 Bordeaux to think of, I'm thinking of a Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese instead. ;)

So Biryani, Pichon Baron & Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese?
Decisions are made by those who show up