The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nederburg, Alamos and Arthurs Creek

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Nederburg, Alamos and Arthurs Creek

by Jenise » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 am

2007 Nederburg Chardonnay, South Africa
The usual creamy-oak cheap chardonnay flavors are dealt a double blow with a residual-sugar impression of sweetness on the entry and an aspartame-like bitter aftertaste. Below average even at $10.

2006 Alamos Pinot Noir, Mendoza, Argentina
Although it had exactly the right color and lighter body for the grape, this wine was so sweet and lacking in acid and varietal flavor that Bob couldn't guess what it was made out of. When I revealed it was pinot and challenged him to guess where it was from, he said "one of those little Russian countries". That's how bad it is: it doesn't taste like wine from a place where both the people who make the wine and the people who drink wine it have any wine sophistication. Easily the worst pinot noir I've ever tasted. $13.

1996 Arthurs Creek Cabernet Sauvignon, Victoria, Australia
This boutique winery is (or was) in the area hardest hit by the devastating recent fires, and this wine is another example of the kind of graceful, restrained winemaking not usually associated with Australia. Garnet red color with a clearing rim. Age-softened black cherry fruit, leather and a red-earth kind of minerality predominate, and the tannins have softened nicely. Is clearly on the decline at this point, but the wine's had a good run and this was a particularly excellent bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Nederburg, Alamos and Arthurs Creek

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:52 am

I've had the Alamos Pinot Noir once. That was one time too many.
Decisions are made by those who show up