The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another orange wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Another orange wine

by Keith M » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:41 am

Following up on my recent tastes of freakishly delicious wines . . .

2007 Monastero Suore Cistercensi Coenobium Rusticum Lazio [55 percent Trebbiano, 15 percent Verdicchio, 20 percent Malvasia, 10 percent Grechetto] (Lazio IGT, western central Italy) - I only had a glass of this, but, what a glass! And—the bottle had been opened for five days sealed only with the cork pushed back in and the owners said the wine was only getting better. One of those freakish wines that looks orange and cloudy and spends tons of time on the skins and no racking or anything like that. A nunnery is involved. Traditional secret recipe or something like that. The smell is so delicious, I really felt I would have been happy to smell the wine for an hour or two and never taste it. It was amazing. Wafting. Delicious. Seductive. Eventually, I did taste. Excellent grip. Tannins—in a white. Firm tannins. Excellent juicy fruit. Textured structure. Rich and refreshing. Dear heavenly powers, this wine is really, really good.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Another orange wine

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:09 am

Wow, sounds like those nuns channeled all their sensuality into this.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:15 am

Do they have a grail-shaped beacon?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:43 am

Made with help from Paulo Bea's son. Found this store blurb:

Monastero Suore Cistercensi is a convent that produces one wine: Coenobium. This vino da tavola from Lazio has been christened (get it?) "the nun wine." Coenobium denotes a community of monks, and the wine is made by the sisters at the Cistercian monastery in Vitorchiano, north of Rome, with help from Montefalco vintner Giampiero Bea. The blend is made from organically grown Verdicchio, Trebbiano and Grechetto. A long soak on the grape skins helps transform these modest white varieties into an amazingly layered wine. Scents of rainy-day flowers, coriander and orange zest lead you to a richly textured mouthful, with sweet honeysuckle, minerality and a subtle tang.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:24 am

Keith M wrote:Following up on my recent tastes of freakishly delicious wines . . .

2007 Monastero Suore Cistercensi Coenobium Rusticum Lazio [55 percent Trebbiano, 15 percent Verdicchio, 20 percent Malvasia, 10 percent Grechetto] (Lazio IGT, western central Italy) - I only had a glass of this, but, what a glass! And—the bottle had been opened for five days sealed only with the cork pushed back in and the owners said the wine was only getting better. One of those freakish wines that looks orange and cloudy and spends tons of time on the skins and no racking or anything like that. A nunnery is involved. Traditional secret recipe or something like that. The smell is so delicious, I really felt I would have been happy to smell the wine for an hour or two and never taste it. It was amazing. Wafting. Delicious. Seductive. Eventually, I did taste. Excellent grip. Tannins—in a white. Firm tannins. Excellent juicy fruit. Textured structure. Rich and refreshing. Dear heavenly powers, this wine is really, really good.

Keith, who imports this wine? I doubt that it is available in Kentucky, but I'll go looking for some from a fearless shipper or two. I would like to check out the importers web page though if there is one. Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 am

Likewise, I doubt I'd find it in Tulsa, but I may look for it today.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:02 am

What will those fun loving nuns get up to next?

The wine certainly sounds interesting, though I expect the chances of getting any up here are about zero.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:55 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Keith, who imports this wine?

Neal Rosenthal.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Keith M wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:Keith, who imports this wine?

Neal Rosenthal.

Thank you Keith, I need to check with them and see where it is distributed near me. Thanks again. Oh, BTW have you had the lesser of the two\ wines the Nuns make. I refer to the one that doesn't have the word Rusticum in the name. And, thanks again.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Oh, BTW have you had the lesser of the two\ wines the Nuns make. I refer to the one that doesn't have the word Rusticum in the name.

I have not.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm

Orange? This one is as bianco as White Wonder! Where do you get the orange from, pray tell?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: . . . and its white sister

by Keith M » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:07 pm

And now I've had the opportunity to taste the bianco version, with less time on the skins.

Impressive, delicious and unique . . .

2007 Monastero Suore Cistercensi Coenobium Lazio Bianco [55 percent Trebbiano, 20 percent Malvasia, 15 percent Verdicchio, 10 percent Grechetto] (Lazio IGT,western central Italy) cork closure, 13% - imported to USA by Rosenthal Wine Merchant, New York, New York - appears brilliant gold, smell big broad nose, tangerine and light easy citrus, blossoms as it opens (over days), more white flowers and coriander, taste thicker and sweeter at first, then salty and vibrant, lively flowers, coriander and spice, things really start picking up on day two, delicious spices and drinkability with a very memorable finish--15 minutes between sips as you do something else (in my case, packing) seems appropriate, sturdy and delicious, it went well with a variety of foods, but I preferred sampling it in small doses as I tottered around. This is a wine worth thinking about, find a comfortable seat, form a gentle fist under your chin, ponder and contemplate. There is a ton of yeast-like, spicy, floral elements combined with tangerine fruit which I enjoyed best with a lot of air, at room temperature and in small doses. The nuns are two for two--a uniquely expressive and interesting wine. Soli Deo Gloria