The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Obtaining Wine Info

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Obtaining Wine Info

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:17 pm

I don't want to actually start a poll, but more of a sharing type discussion.
Where do you get your wine information?

Internet: I've learned a lot from discussions here on the WLDG. I don't use any other boards, but I do have a list of web sites in "My Favorites" that address various home winemaking and viticultural topics. I also find Robin's 30-Second Wine Advisor to be quite informative.

Periodicals: I get "The American Wine Society Journal" and "Winemaker" magazine. I've only received the latter for the past year and am a bit disappointed in it, so I probably won't renew.

Books: I have a few books on wine and winemaking and usually use them for reference, along with OZ Clarke's CD-ROM.

Wine Events: I've been to a few offlines and tastings, and while I always enjoy the experiences, I can't say I really learn a lot from them.

Visiting Wineries: I love visiting wineries and learn quite a bit doing this - comparing varieties and styles from one to the other.

Local Retailer: I find I don't get much help here usually, except where to find something.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Obtaining Wine Info

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:32 pm

Howie
For me, internet is probably tops, though the occasional filter needs to be employed (e.g. some fora are new world or old world biased as are individuals).

Books offer more relaxation and my collection expands every couple of months or so.

I've all but given up on magazines/periodicals. I find them inconsistent, lightweight, pandering to the wineries and typically just disappointing. I buy the occasional one for a train journey, or in a foreign country.

Wine events have been all too few over the last two years, but hopefully I'll have a bit more time over the coming months and would like to make a couple. Like you, I tend not to learn too much, but sometimes it's an interesting insight into the personality of winemakers who attend (usually good, occasionally bad).

Local retailer? Sadly I seem to be more hooked on the wine hobby than them :oops: There's a few good ones around, where I can ask them to compare and contrast wines and give me some background to a region I'm not too experienced in.

Visiting Wineries: Yes very good, though this is a holiday activity for me and as such has to fight with other attractions

Two others I'll add
Non-Local retailer: Especially those abroad can offer insight into the wines of their region - I've had some genuinely interesting conversations and even learnt stuff while attempting to speak Italian.

Wine friends and local tasting groups: A great source of education, especially in different palate preferences and most significantly in enhancing my descriptors of wine.

Finally, we shouldn't forget what we learn by just drinking the stuff with food, on it's own, with company or on our own. I think sometimes I read too much and don't drink enough!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Re: Obtaining Wine Info

by Dave Erickson » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:41 pm

I work for a retailer, so that's my main source of information. The occasional visits from winemakers and import managers can be invaluable. A few of the local reps are knowledgeable and enthusiastic. My colleagues are the most constant source of new information, though. All of us read the trades, look on the web, and mainly do a lot of tasting. I find this site a good source, too!

I seldom check out the big wine sites except through Google; I'm usually looking for specific information.

Forgot: One of the main ways I get wine information is by traveling. This year (admittedly an exceptional year--they're not all like this!) I spent a month in New Zealand and later two weeks split between Roussillon and the Bergerac. Travel is a luxury, I know--just like time--but if you want to get a sense of what a wine region is really all about, you gotta go there.

And, I learn from others who travel. We have a few customers who get around, and come in and talk to us about wines they've had in their travels.