The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Miserere Priorat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2000 Miserere Priorat

by Jenise » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:05 pm

This is the kind of Priorat Bill Spohn mentioned growing up on the other day. I had not met its ilk before, but I recognized it immediately from his description. Opaque and ink black, with dry black fruit and asphalt on the nose and palate. Texturewise it's gritty and awkward. There's very little secondary development, and it's hard to imagine where the wine's going from here except to believe that it's best days are ahead. Question is, will that ever be good enough?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2000 Miserere Priorat

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Gritty and awkward do not sound promising.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:51 pm

David, it was my only bottle, and I'm not sorry....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:50 pm

Miserere is the only Priorat wine made with tempranillo. Tempranillo doesn't give any refinement when grown on slate soils, so no one else grows it in Priorat. Add the fact that 2000 was a rather weak vintage there, 'nuff said, I'm afraid, about your hopes for this wine's future...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:Miserere is the only Priorat wine made with tempranillo. Tempranillo doesn't give any refinement when grown on slate soils, so no one else grows it in Priorat. Add the fact that 2000 was a rather weak vintage there, 'nuff said, I'm afraid, about your hopes for this wine's future...

Thanks for the additional information, Victor. Didn't know that about tempranillo, but there was certainly nothing refined in this wine at all. As for 'hopes' for the future, that was really a rather tongue in cheek statement suggesting that IF this wine was ever going to have a good day, it's in the future because it's not now and it couldn't have been in the past. But I wasn't betting on it and am glad to not have any other bottles.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:15 am

I forgot to mention the marketing genius behind this wine's name, which not only sounds... miserly, but means (in Latin) 'Have pity!' :shock:

(BTW - Sorry to disconcert those who believe that my only aim in life and wine fora is to strenuously defend Spanish wines against criticism...)