The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two From DryCreekVinyds...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two From DryCreekVinyds...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Tried this week my two VSP wines:
1. DryCreekVnyd Petite Zin Rose of Zin SonomaCnty (384 cs; 13.9%) 2008: Somewhat dark for a rose; lovely rather spicy/cranberry/raspberry/ruhbarb fragrant slightly earthy/Tavel-like nose; tart quite spicy/raspberry/cranberry/strawberry/ruhbarb fairly rich/lush bright/zippy flavor; med.long bright/vibrant very spicy/strawberry/cranberry/raspberry finish w/ light tannins; just really good-drinking/bright/zippy drinking; exactly what a summertime rose should be. $18.00
2. DryCreekVnyd DCV10/RRV PinotNoir (700 cs; 14.5%; http://www.DryCreekVineyard.com) 2006: Fairly dark color; strong mushroomy/RRV black cherry/Pinot light charred/toasty/smokey/bit pencilly fragrant/spicy/cinammon light earthy lovely nose; tart bit lean/hard light mushroomy/RRV some black cherry/Pinot slight thin/austere light smokey/pungent/toasty/Fr.oak flavor; fairly long mushroomy/RRV bit lean/austere/tannic black cherry/Pinot light toasty/smokey/oak finish w/ modest tannins; good RRV terroir and very attractive nose but bit lean/hard on the palate. $30.00
The Pinot is somewhat less successful. It has a very attractive nose, but seems a bit overextracted and hard on the palate. That said, I think it's a real step up from the '05 version, which I didn't care for at all.
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: Two From DryCreekVinyds...(short/boring)

by John Treder » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:42 pm

My bottle of the rose (wine club shipment) worried me a bit. I thought it might be a bit corked, It had a sort of funk on opening, not really the yucky wet soupy taste, but after five minutes or so it became decent. But it never did get the bright freshness I had anticipated. It was fully dry and had a good fresh berry flavor, given the time.

Roses, though, have never quite been my cup of tea.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:20 pm

I retried the end of the bottle of Petite Zin. It was definitely corked, but not grossly. Oh well.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Bummer..

by TomHill » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:16 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:I retried the end of the bottle of Petite Zin. It was definitely corked, but not grossly. Oh well.
John

John,
Just give them a call or an e-mail. Their customer service is very good & they'll have a replacement btl winging your way in no time.
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:19 pm

I know they're good, and I'll be dropping in on Tuesday.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:56 pm

I got a replacement and bought a couple more bottles today - it's a delightful bright strawberry sort of wine. I also picked up a couple of bottles of the Heritage Zin - I think it's a real bargain.

Speaking of pulpits -- Every time I go on a wine day, I end up having to skip several wineries I really wanted to visit. Today I went over to Glen Ellen to start and visited Loxton, Wellington and Kunde. I burned a good half hour talking to Chris and Jeff at Loxton as I was the only visitor. That's a good reason for going on Tuesday! And Wellington impressed me so much that I brought home a case of their wines, mainly because I negotiated a 40% off price on some very good '04 Cab.
I also burned up most of an hour sipping barrel samples and talking with Matt (the assistant winemaker) and David. The '08 My Zin and Block 4 are going to be really snazzy wines.

John
John in the wine county