The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spanish Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Spanish Wines

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Notes from an excellent Spanish tasting (with two Portuguese interlopers)

1996 Lopez Heredia Vina Gravonia Blanco Crianza – odd nose that featured petrol-like almost Riesling notes with an overriding cheesiness. Lots of acidity, and I thought a hint of oxidation. Some liked this, others didn’t.

2006 Esporao – a white Alentejo that had a nose that was a chard ringer, full in the mouth and smooth on palate. Quite decent.

1981 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Gran Reserva – I love these wines but rarely get to drink them. Obviously fully mature in colour and nose, with that nice old oakiness and mature fruit, good acidity, smooth and elegant. No doubt this will cruise along almost unchanged for awhile yet.

1985 Torres Mas La Plana – we always used to refer to this simply as Gran Coronas Black Label, and I still have that habit. Bell pepper in the nose gives away the cabernet. Very harmonious and with good length. No rush.

1994 Pesquera Crianza – I thought about what people would be bringing and pulled this older bottle from Alejandro, back in the 90s when they were going from one high to another year after year. These wines were just killer value at under $30 C. Lots of vanilla, dark wine, smooth initially then tightened up a bit to show the still significant tannins. No rush on this one either.

2001 Flor de Pingus – I was asked right after the tasting which wines were my favourites, and demurred answering as there were so many styles that I felt it warranted some consideration. On reflection, I’d rank this right at the top. It was dark, with fruit and bacon in the nose, decent fruit in the middle, and very good balance. In my top 3 or so.

2001 San Vicente (Rioja) – I am unfamiliar with this 100% Tempranillo wine, not having tasted it before, but I found it quite interesting. Sweet, slightly heavy nose, the entry good with a flash of sweet fruit, before the tannins clamped down on your tongue indicating that more time in the cellar is needed – but! With the main course of roast whole pig (it was rolled out and introduced to us as ‘John Swine’) the grease was cut by the tannins and all of a sudden the wine snapped into focus and recovered the fruit that the tannins had been obscuring. So there is a tip – every time you want to drink a young tannic bottle, just go out and buy a whole pig, and dig a pit in the back garden…..(of course the neighbours will probably figure that you are burying the wife…)

2005 Alvaro Palacios Les Terrasses Priorat – so I was brought up on old style Priorat that you couldn’t see through, much less contemplate drinking for at least a decade, and I haven’t quite reconciled myself to this new fangled sissy style that you can actually enjoy young, but this one certainly helped persuade me. This carignano, cab, garnacha blend melded cassis, a hint of vinyl and vanilla in the nose, and was a full bodied yet the tannins were reasonably soft and it had good length. Very nice.

2001 Sot Lefriec – I’m afraid this name always strikes my funny bone – I figure it would be a great name for a winemaker or a good T shirt slogan when touring wine country. Basically a Bordeaux blend of merlot and cab with a bit (10%) carignan tossed in, it exhibited a definite cab nose and it showed huge concentration and length with a pleasant sweetness. I was quite impressed with this wine and rate it in my top few of the night.

1996 Jean Leon Gran Reserva – I’ve had several of these wines as a friend is a fan and pulls one out once in awhile. Picture a California cab made in Spain – big dark wine with cocoa cassis nose, lots of tannin, lots of acidity (that is the clue that would head you toward Iberia, perhaps, in a blind tasting) and a welcome hint of spice in the finish. Still relatively tannic and tight at 12 years, this should reward further patience. Very good.

2003 Enrique Mendoza Santa Rosa Reserva – a killer Alicante starting with a blend of cab and merlot and finishing it with syrah this time instead of carignan. Purple tannic wine with sweet fruit and a cedary hint in the noise. Needs time.

2006 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva – the other Portuguese wine and a worthy addition. I’ve been buying these wines for several years and the just keep getting better with every vintage. Intense fruit and spice in the nose, sweet and grapy in the mouth, with a sweet lengthy finish and sot tannins. This one is just getting started, but it does drink well now. I noted a tad of heat in the finish as well, though the 14.5% on the label is nothing these days.

Alvear 1927 Solera PX – raisins and walnuts in this nose, and a sweet wine that seems to finish drier than it started. Very long and smooth. Great way to end an interesting tasting.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Spanish Wines

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Looks like a lot of fun.

A "hint of oxidation" in the Gravonia? That wine is all about oxidation, though your bottle was a bit younger than most I have tried.

Despite the occasional internet rants, I think Pesquera is on its way back to where it was in the early to mid '90s.

I like the Mas La Plana a lot, but the current price has driven me in other directions.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Looks like a lot of fun.

A "hint of oxidation" in the Gravonia? That wine is all about oxidation, though your bottle was a bit younger than most I have tried.

Despite the occasional internet rants, I think Pesquera is on its way back to where it was in the early to mid '90s.

I like the Mas La Plana a lot, but the current price has driven me in other directions.

This one wasn't (yet) into oxidation - in fact the owner was denying that there was any at all, but I agree with you that these wines normally integrate that element quite well.

Glad to hear that Pequera is getting back on form - guess I should try a current vintage (also the Condado de Haza, which I found has faltered not long after it first appeared).

I love the old Torres but agree about pricing. I must get around to picking up a bit of regular Gran Coronas for current drinking - always a good value and I can add to my plastic bull collection!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Re: Condado de Haza - IIRC it first appeared in 1994 or so, which would put it right at the cusp of when things started to go south with Pesquera, so I think it's really a single phenomenon. I enjoyed both bottlings in 1995, but after that I was not thrilled. I liked both 2001s much more than intervening years. I am hoping to put my hands on some 2004s.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: I think Pesquera is on its way back to where it was in the early to mid '90s.

I would love to agree. But I can't.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Agreed--excellent tasting. And even if the wines weren't great, which they were, it was worth being there just to see the faces on the other diners as Senor M rolled that whole roast suckling pig to our table!

Re the wines, your notes pretty much cover my take on everything, but I'll add a few.

1996 Lopez Heredia Vina Gravonia Blanco Crianza – I'm one of the likes here, thought it was fascinating. This isn't a summer deck wine, it's serious stuff, and I loved the odd way that oxidative petroleum/chemical nose was completely divorced from the taste, and vice versa. Blindfolded, you might suspect that they'd put a different wine in your mouth than what you just sniffed.

2006 Esporao – lovely wine, so floral and fresh that it was almost sweet compared to the Gravonia. I too found it somewhat chard like, but also reminiscent of the last Condrieu I had, a Texier. Could have been a blend of the two.

1981 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Gran Reserva – What you said.

1985 Torres Mas La Plana – Loved this. A wine I like so much I wonder why I don't have more of it until I remind myself that I just never see it for sale.

1994 Pesquera Crianza – I hope my 01's taste like this some day. Sadly, they probably won't.

2001 Flor de Pingus – My WOTN although there were several close seconds (virtually all those you tagged), and that would be true even if I hadn't brought it. It was supple and a bit sexier than everything else to me that night with that ephemeral attraction that's beyond the technicals of taste and smell. And I have to say so in order to introduce Oswaldo's tasting note from several months ago, which is what convinced me this wine was ready for prime time, because it's such a great read: "My first bottle of this (a year ago) was superb, the second and third (in subsequent months) were so-so, and now the fourth is back to the level of the first. Very fine nose, combining waves of leather, mocha, vanilla, and prunes, dabbed with a touch of funk. Excellent acidity, attractive mouthfeel, well-integrated alcohol, fine tannins, the only drawback is a shorter-than-expected finish. But, as the bottle empties at an alarming rate, sheer pleasure takes over and the analytically apprehending mode is replaced by a sensuously surrendering mode. Before I know it, the cortex is relegated to its arriviste insignificance and the reptilian brain, suffused with primeval certainties, assumes control of operations. Paraphrasing Rumi, the limbic system whispers: "beyond good and bad wine there is a field; meet me there!" Yup, I went to the field, too!

2001 San Vicente (Rioja) – I must be more tannin tolerant than I realize, or maybe I was chewing on my fingernails and the protein was compatible :) --because though I recognized that this wine had some tannins I didn't find them initially clamping or tough at all. And of course, they melted away with the pork. Another thank you to a forum member, Matt Richman, whose recent comments on this wine ("it's in a real good place right now") persuaded me to choose this from what I had available. Your comments describe it well, and I would only add that it was more traditional than modern in style and easily recognizable as Rioja with a bit of that fruit cake spice and orange peel just around the corner.

2005 Alvaro Palacios Les Terrasses How different our early experiences shape our thoughts: a bottle some years ago of Alvaro Palacios was in fact my first Priorat, so it tasted spot-on to me. Soft, elegant, integrated flavors with a plush texture and finish. Gorgeous now, and will get better.

2001 Sot Lefriec – "I was quite impressed with this wine and rate it in my top few of the night." Ditto, a wine of masterful power and elegance. My first experience with Sot, and it's now on my watch list.

1996 Jean Leon Gran Reserva – What you said, and another wine I'll be looking for.

2003 Enrique Mendoza Santa Rosa Reserva – Now here's the wine whose tannins clamped down on my tongue. Young and impressive.

2006 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva – Something I hate, just hate, in young wine is grapiness, that slightly tuitti fruitti thing, and though I know it ages out and the wine becomes ever so pleasant eventually, it prevents me from enjoying or being able to honestly evaluate a young wine that features it, and that's the case here.

Alvear 1927 Solera PX – Not as green or viscous as any other PX I've ever had, so I found it nicely drinkable, but as usual the higher than average sweetness coupled with a lower than average acidity made it something I wouldn't seek out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Lawd, Jenise, I can't believe I wrote that, the site should have a built-in gush limiter.

So glad you guys loved the wine. Tomorrow another one goes on the block!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:01 pm

Jenise wrote:My first experience with Sot(s)

Surely not! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Lawd, Jenise, I can't believe I wrote that, the site should have a built-in gush limiter.

So glad you guys loved the wine. Tomorrow another one goes on the block!

Have you had the 2000?' It's a lesser vintage but now that I've had the 01 I'm anxious to try the other.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Have you had the 2000?' It's a lesser vintage but now that I've had the 01 I'm anxious to try the other.

Alas, no. And someday, if I behave perhaps there will be a (regular) Pingus in my future. Hard to believe the Flor is a second wine...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Jenise wrote:Have you had the 2000?' It's a lesser vintage but now that I've had the 01 I'm anxious to try the other.

Alas, no. And someday, if I behave perhaps there will be a (regular) Pingus in my future. Hard to believe the Flor is a second wine...

I own a single bottle. Have no idea what occasion will ever seem good enough to open it. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Jenise - open the 2000 when the workmen leave your house for good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Jenise - open the 2000 when the workmen leave your house for good.

...he says as Jenise listens to the bang bang bang close by, wondering what in the world those guys are doing as I'm on the second floor....
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Great collection of wine. Thanks for the very interesting notes.

I'm a BIG fan of Flor de Pingus. It's not cheap, but I think it's worth it. It's probably the only Spanish wine in that price range that I buy anymore.

And that 1981 Bosconia is a beautiful wine. An under-rated vintage for that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Matt Richman wrote:Great collection of wine. Thanks for the very interesting notes.

I'm a BIG fan of Flor de Pingus. It's not cheap, but I think it's worth it. It's probably the only Spanish wine in that price range that I buy anymore.

I've loved every bottle of Flor I've ever tasted. Your comment made me go look at what they're going for these days. Still in the $65-80 zone which is where they were when I bought these about four years ago, though if I can be forgiven for gloating I'll admit to having paid just $36 for the 01's and $30 for the '00 at auction.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 am

Esporao winemaker in town this Friday with a winemakers dinner at the Westin. Should be a very interesting affair!