The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN, kind of: Recession Reds and Whites of Woe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN, kind of: Recession Reds and Whites of Woe

by Jenise » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:13 pm

Last night our neighborhood wine group had a tasting called "Recession Reds and Whites of Woe". Instead of our usual well-dressed sit-down tasting which requires participants to bring six wine glasses, we had 58 wines, all priced under $10, available for self-pour and guests were encouraged to dress "down and out".

It was the most fun party we've ever thrown. If prizes had been given for best outfits, the top prizes would have gone to Tom Highfield who wore a wine barrel over long johns and his wife Vanessa who wore a cardboard dress made out of wine boxes with peek-a-boo close-ups of wine bottles strategically placed in front underneath which appeared the words "Nice Bottles". My husband would have taken second place as a more upscale down and outer in a tuxedo jacket, French cuffs, undone bow tie, AIG bonus check in his breast pocket and Fred Simpson boxer shorts which proclaimed "I've never done anything wrong in my whole life." That's right, no pants. (I was dressed similarly in mink stole and black evening wear with skirt suffering dangerously from campfire burns.)

The white wines were a mixed lot. The crowd favorites among the whites were the Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling and Bonterra chardonnay. Chardonnays from Chateau St. Jean and Guenoc (my favorite) also showed well, as did sauvignon blancs from Fetzer and Cono Sur. Worst white, and in fact the only bad one: a 3.99 chard purchased at Trader Joe's called Santa Barbara Landing which tasted of sugar water.

Among the reds (reds outnumbered whites 2:1), the prize for crowd favorite would have to go to the three Argentine malbecs as a group. The brands were Gascon, Alberti 154 and Gougenheim, and each had their fans depending on whether you like big and rustic (the Gascon), big and fruitier (the Alberti), or complexity and finesse (the amazing Gougenheim, my WOTN). Castle Rock's Columbia Valley cabernet was also quite drinkable as was the Gnarly Vines Zinfandel from Lodi, Gallo of Sonoma cabernet and a Salice Salentino from Trader Joe's called Epicuro.

The disappointments among the reds were some wines touted in past years as good values, like the Rex Goliath Merlot (absolute dreck) and Pepperwood Grove pinot noir (tart and thin).

For yucks, we also threw in a gallon jug of Carlo Rossi Paisano and a 1.5L of Gallo's Hearty Burgundy which, I'm sad to report, no longer comes in the iconic, wide-bottomed bottle in which it established its reputation. The Paisano was vinegar, absolutely awful--not the pleasant quaffer an old roommate of mine used to buy. And the HB was only marginally better--not vinegar, but hardly as good as I remembered it, and yes I've tasted Hearty Burgundy on and off over the years and though it was never a wine I loved it was always durably same-same, hitting only one note but hitting it fairly well for the price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN, kind of: Recession Reds and Whites of Woe

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:21 pm

No shock on the Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling.

It's almost like a cull party but you had to buy the wines!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:10 am

Last week I picked up a 2007 Fetzer Chardonnay at $8 for a 1.5 L bottle at CVS. We opened it last night and found it nice and buttery with limited oak. This is a wine that I never would have purchased were it not for our current hostile economy. I'm going back tomorrow to pick up more.

PS: We drink the Gascon Malbec regularly.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:48 pm

I've had several Fetzer wines before, and always found them tasty and drinkable. Decent QPR to me.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I've had several Fetzer wines before, and always found them tasty and drinkable. Decent QPR to me.

Always decent QPR. The Sauv Blanc is a bit on the marshmallow-y side for anyone who likes that savage grassy stuff, but it would be good training wheels for someone who needs to be weaned off of white zin or insipid American pinot grigios.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:11 pm

The Fetzer Gewurz is a good one.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:31 pm

If you want good cheap wine you've got to get out of the US. Even cursory research would find you better deals:

There must be a dozen reds under $7 from the Campo de Borja region of Spain, and no excuses need be made for any of them.

Whites are more difficult, but there are still serious bargains from Gascogne (France); Rueda (Spain); and the Casablanca Valley (Chile).

...and yes, the Gougenheim is something else!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Whites are more difficult, but there are still serious bargains from Gascogne (France); Rueda (Spain); and the Casablanca Valley (Chile).

I would add Vinho Verde (Portugal), Albarino (Spain), and Muscadet (France) to the list of inexpensive white Euro imports with great QPR's, Dave.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:47 pm

The Fetzer Gewurz is a good one.

I will look for it, Bob.
Sam

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:45 pm

Sam Platt wrote:

I would add Vinho Verde (Portugal), Albarino (Spain), and Muscadet (France) to the list of inexpensive white Euro imports with great QPR's, Dave.

Yes, indeed. Although Albarino for less than $12 is mighty scarce in my neck of the woods.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:43 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:The Fetzer Gewurz is a good one.

You're right--Fetzer's always done a great job with that grape.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:17 am

Gewurztraminer is one of the few white wines that I really like and can find good ones at little expense - a definite Recession quaffer!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

'07 BV Coastal Estates Sauvignon Blanc

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:06 pm

This one was on a list of good QPR so I tried it. Not at all bad, particularly for less than $8. A good recession white.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: '07 BV Coastal Estates Sauvignon Blanc

by Jenise » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:This one was on a list of good QPR so I tried it. Not at all bad, particularly for less than $8. A good recession white.

IIRC, Hoke recently said that this wine actually sells for less than it costs to make it.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:22 am

We are getting a good deal on the '07 Louis Latour Bourgogne (Pinot Noir) and his '06 St. Veran and Pouilly-Venzelles.Both for $9.99 ($9 with the case discount) I think Latour has lowered his pricing on these wines for the moment. I noticed Costco has the Pinot Noir for $10.60 +/-. But at $9 these qualify for "stimulus wines".
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:23 am

Richard Fadeley wrote:We are getting a good deal on the '07 Louis Latour Bourgogne (Pinot Noir) and his '06 St. Veran and Pouilly-Venzelles.Both for $9.99 ($9 with the case discount) I think Latour has lowered his pricing on these wines for the moment. I noticed Costco has the Pinot Noir for $10.60 +/-. But at $9 these qualify for "stimulus wines".

Nice deals! I saw the Drouhin St. Veran when I was shopping for this event, but it's still $12 and therefore a non-qualifier. My absolute limit was $10.