The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hunter Valley-One More Bottle and Pinot Grig

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Hunter Valley-One More Bottle and Pinot Grig

by Brian K Miller » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:20 am

We opened my next to last bottle of the 2001 Tower Estate Hunter Valley Shirraz last night and it was again delicious while showing yet another "expression" of the grape. Is it bottle variation or just my palate? :P

Nose of cherry, tobacco, and leather, which follows through on the palate with bright cherry/raspberry fruit, a whisper of tobacco and leather notes. Much brighter bottle than the last one, with quite appealing scintilating acidity...this wine is not tired at all but is probably at the edge of its peak (there is an edge to the finish that suggests drinking now...but maybe not) Very very "juicy" character that would go well with food, I bet. Delicious. 92 points. Not bad for $23.

Also: 2007 Terlan Pinot Grigio Alto Adige. Once the bottle recovered my attempt to drink it too cold...delicious. Not a simple quaffer (and pricey for PG) with a rich, smooth mouth feel, moderate acidity, and layers and layers of citrus fruit flavors. Good stony minerality also. Solid 90 point wine-would buy again.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach