The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:2006 Martin Laforet Bourgogne Grand Ordinaire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN:2006 Martin Laforet Bourgogne Grand Ordinaire

by David Z » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm

2006 Martin Laforet Bourgogne Grand Ordinaire "Grand Reserve"- Found this at a local wine store for $9. Can't resist a mix of pinot and gamay at that price!

Never heard of this producer, and a google search turns up nothing, but it's imported by Touton. The address for the producer is in Ligny-le-Chatel, which google maps places a little bit north of Chablis. This is negociant wine ("Mis en bouteille dans nos Chais" on the cork). The back label is in English and states 80% Pinot Noir, 20% Gamay, along with a little marketing blurb.

You know what? This is pretty good! It's light in color, perhaps a shade darker than rose, very transparent, but its got a sweet raspberry and red cherry nose, and a lamb's blood sour cherry palate that reminds me of a lighter version of village Gevrey. A hint of tannin and the usual Burgundian acidity provide structure. Easily the best <$10 wine I've had in a while from anywhere, let alone Burgundy, and a heck of a lot better than many of the ~$20 Bourgogne's I've had from 2005 and 2006.

What ever the heck this is, I'll be going to buy more of it.