The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 under $20 French wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 3 under $20 French wines

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:23 pm

After feasting Sunday afternoon, we had a late dinner of leftovers that evening, with the 2007 Pernot Bourgogne blanc. Good concentration and depth for a simple Bourgogne, white fruits, earth, a little hazelnut note (though I doubt this sees any new oak). Nice balance between the ripe apple/pear fruit and the acids that give it backbone, lovely for the level. Holds up well over 3 days. B+

Tuesday was a chicken and vegetables in parchment dish, with the 2007 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon #2 (Touraine). After a somewhat flat and disappointing last bottle, this was back on form.Lemon and melon fruit, a light grassy note, not big but with nice clean flavors. B+/B

Wednesday prepped a broccoli/pepper dish and some quinoa for me to finish, I also cooked some smoked pork chops in white wine. When she got home, we enjoyed with the 2007 Nudant "La Chapelle Notre Dame" Bourgogne rouge. New producer to me, but a clean straightforward pinot. Sweet strawberry and cherry fruit, a bit of funky earth (a hint of brett? wasn't sure), good acidity. Light bodied, nothing complex but certainly enjoyable. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.