The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What is your top "off-beat" grape?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: What is your top "off-beat" grape?

by Salil » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:49 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok - if you don't like Scheurebe, how about Rieslaner? Albalonga?

Rieslaner's interesting, but I haven't had as many crazy experiences with it as I have with Scheu. (Then again of the two Catoir Rieslaners I've had - that 01 was corked as you may remember, and an 04 at an Austrian/German OL was overshadowed by a bunch of other wines at the table.)
Albalonga... will wait until you open one of your Wittmanns before I comment. ;)
The really great thing about Scheu is that while it's fairly scarce and hard to come by there are at least a decent handful of producers who do some really fun things with it - so a wider range of styles are at least out there on the market (whereas I've only seen 2-3 names consistently recommended for Rieslaner, and Wittmann's the only name I've ever seen attached to Albalonga).

In terms of red grapes... am starting to really like some of those lighter Austrian reds from Zweigelt and Blaufrankisch. There are some fascinating examples out there (and even better values than a lot of the Austrian whites in some cases).
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Greco di Tufo doesn't suck either.

All of Europe is a cache of small production lesser known grapes (in Portugal, for instance. many pretty much inknown even to wine geeks).

A few others of some merit:
Picpoul (red and white)
Charbono
Cunoise
Terret (red, white or gris)

A (far from exhaustive) list is here: http://winegeeks.com/wines/category/grape/
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Hoke wrote:Just south of there, Ruche.
As usual, Tom Hill beat me to the punch on stuff like TazzeLenghe, Schioppetino and the like from Friuli. Marzemino doesn't suck.

I also love Ruche/Ruchet, Brachetto, Freisa, and Marzemino for the wonderful floral/fragrant perfume they all display. Especiall
when they're made frizzante, not far removed from Nehi cherry soda pop. Wonderful w/ artisinal salumi.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Let me kick off with the following with the possibility of adding others if I think of them;

Nerello mascalese
Carricante
Grillo (of course)
Refosco
Aglianico (too well known?)
Petite Arvine
Cornalin
Gros & Petit Manseng
Mencia
Godello
Macabeu
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:41 pm

Mencia is not nearly as off-beat as it used to be.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:42 pm

For whites: Ribolla Gialla or Chasselas (from better Swiss producers). If those are not off-beat enough, I really like the Basque Hondarrabi Zuri.

For reds: Sangrantino or Pinot Meunier as a dry table wine.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:For whites: Ribolla Gialla or Chasselas (from better Swiss producers). If those are not off-beat enough, I really like the Basque Hondarrabi Zuri.

Ooh, good call on the Hondarrabi Zuri, Rangstrom! Yes, yes, gimme that ol' Tzakolina any time.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:For reds: Pinot Meunier as a dry table wine.

Wow, really? From where? The only still dry Pinot Meuniers I've had were from Germany and they offered little of interest to make me want to explore the grape further. Good to hear there is promise after all . . .
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Not Dan...

by TomHill » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Keith M wrote:Wow, really? From where? The only still dry Pinot Meuniers I've had were from Germany and they offered little of interest to make me want to explore the grape further. Good to hear there is promise after all . . .

Keith,
Not Dan, but only play him in the movies!!
AdamLee makes about the best one I've had at Siduri. Much like his Pinots, but a little more earthy, a little more
clunky. But pretty tasty.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Hoke wrote:All depends on what your definition of "off-beat" is. What's off-beat to one is well known to another.

I introduced a friend to her first time ever taste of Lagrein, and she loved it.

Did the same to a friend at Wine Styles. I have another lined up for when he's back from vacation.

I want to throw in another new favorite-based only on the one example. Lambrusco. Made with biodynamic grapes by hippy Italian winemakers. I think that will be my shock the friends wine-because it is major weird :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:06 pm

I like variety, so I can't simply put one in the top place. Of current interest is Blauer Wildbacher. I would also be keen to try more Kalecik Karası. Then there are dozens of slightly less off-beat things like Mondeuse, Poulsard, Merwah, Obaideh, Raboso, etc. that I enjoy very much.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Coming late to this thread, I've got to be the first to nominate

Pineau d'Aunis

A rare Loire grape that makes a lean, structured, peppery red wine what my wife can't get enough of, and I'm right next behind her in line.

Thierry Puzelat's rendition, a Dressner import, is a mighty fine place to start ...
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 pm

How could we have forgotten Pineau d'Aunis? And Romorantin?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Coming late to this thread, I've got to be the first to nominate

Pineau d'Aunis

A rare Loire grape that makes a lean, structured, peppery red wine what my wife can't get enough of, and I'm right next behind her in line.

Thierry Puzelat's rendition, a Dressner import, is a mighty fine place to start ...

Robinot makes a fine one too.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

by SteveG » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Keith M wrote:
Dan Donahue wrote:For reds: Pinot Meunier as a dry table wine.

Wow, really? From where? The only still dry Pinot Meuniers I've had were from Germany and they offered little of interest to make me want to explore the grape further. Good to hear there is promise after all . . .

Many years ago...(like 15+) we visited Gloria Ferrer vinyards in Sonoma, bought some lovely sparkling wine and also several bottles of still Pinot Meunier, it was only sold at the tasting room. I regret to say that I can only remember that it was tart and not too easy to drink on its own (I was even more unsophisticated in wine than I am now). Today I would be delighted to give it a try, I love novelty wines, especially when they are produced by somebody who is clearly accomplished in their chosen winemaking field.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Bests (Great Western, Vic, Australia) also do a table wine Pinot Meunier. I've yet to try it, but based on their Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and even Cabernet Franc, I'd be keen to see what they achieve with it.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Coming late to this thread, I've got to be the first to nominate

Pineau d'Aunis

Good stuff! The new vintage from Olivier Cousin is pretty nice, too!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Chambourcin is a minority grape in these parts. I like a well made chambourcin. D'Arenberg used to make a good one before they started turning it into a fizzy. (Have to say, though, that one of the worst wines I've ever tried was a chambourcin.)
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:04 pm

surprised i haven't seen the piemonte varietal - Favorita - only had once but loved
david creighton
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Last week I had a rep bring by a Mondeuse from Savoie in France. I had some spicy and earthy characters that were interesting.
no avatar
User

Marlene R

Rank

Just got here

Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 pm

by Marlene R » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Kekfrancos (Hungarian red)
Longanesi (obscure Italian red from Emilia Romagna)
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Hmmm, is this thread evolving into 'name the most obscure grape you know'? Anyway, I've been trying a lot of Portuguese wines lately and I'd have to say that Touriga Nacional and Franca are very interesting grapes, the first for power and the second for finesse/aroma. And among whites, Encruzado and Arinto can make some delightful wines. Probably not 'off-beat' in Portugal, but certainly are elsewhere.

Oh, you can keep your red hybrids, but I have a weakness for a good Vignoles (aka Ravat 51).
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:07 am

Joe Moryl wrote:Oh, you can keep your red hybrids, but I have a weakness for a good Vignoles (aka Ravat 51).

But have you had a really good Chambourcin?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 am

As has been said, what is offbeat depends very much on where you are and what wines you have available.

Petit Manseng is rather rare, except in Virginia where it is successful and widely available.

Myself, I drink a lot of Pinotage which for many is 'offbeat'.

Re hybrids: Chambourcin its not at all common where I am but I have had a most enjoyable Chambourcin wine from Australia, and not available here at all but I have really enjoyed Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir
PreviousNext