The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Parker feud, hope this is OK ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Re: Parker feud, hope this is OK ?

by JuliaB » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:33 pm

MikeH wrote:[

And unlike other denizens of this board, that is exactly how I took Linda's original post. I thought her point was complimentary to this forum while serving up an example of how badly others have failed to use the same tools to create a community. And she buttressed her assertion with a current example of perceived malfeasance by the other board's principal(s) and a story of first-hand experience with the same board, albeit unnamed persona. I have no problem with her original post. As far as whether Linda brought personal feelings into her original post, don't we all when we type out a post here?

What he said..YES! Linda, I appreciate your insight and information. This is what makes this community unique!

JuliaB
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:13 am

Has the Parker/Squires board ever discussed planting of GM modified crops near vineyards? The tone and content of such might make for interesting comparison between forums...
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:54 am

Hi Robin,

Those were indeed strong words.

Just a little background.
I have been active on Internet mailing lists and forums since they first started and am currently a regular contributor to 3: WLDG, Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts, and Tom Cannavan's UK Wine Pages.

A couple of years ago, I had heard of the eRobertParker site and visited there for a while.
I was appalled at the sniping between participants but, most of all, by the very heavy-handed and, even worse, sneaky way in which the forum was censored (Squires is at his worst in his infamous private e-mail messages):
http://www.drvino.com/2009/04/15/the-xd ... tparkercom

I use the word fascist because if a poster should have the temerity to disagree with the world of wine as defined by the critic in Monkton, then he is "shouted down". That, you might say, is democracy at work and if that is the flavour of the forum, then people should either take it or leave it... However, I and other friends have also received really nasty e-mails from Mark Squires who operates off-board to eject those people who do not agree with his orthodoxy. I was absolutely appalled at his behavior and see it as manipulative and evil. Obviously, I am not alone! His modus operandi is contrary to the whole spirit of the Internet age.

Robin, you have never acted in this way. You've asked me to consider deleting my post(s). This is already proof of your open-mindedness! A Squires would have done so in an instant without asking as is his wont. [i]Toute la différence est là ![/i]

If, after having read the background to my comments you feel that my posts would nevertheless best be removed, I will be glad to accept your judgment and follow through as you request.

Best regards,
Alex
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:14 am

From Merriam Webster:

fascist
One entry found.

Main Entry: fas·cism
Pronunciation: \ˈfa-ˌshi-zəm also ˈfa-ˌsi-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian fascismo, from fascio bundle, fasces, group, from Latin fascis bundle & fasces fasces
Date: 1921
1often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:38 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:I am also reminded of Mark Twain's comment about reading: Them who likes a book stays with it; them who don't wander on"

And those who look behind doors have stood there themselves. The initial comments scolding Linda read a lot like Squires' stuff. Anybody who gets a hair up their butt over something somebody says harbors that idea (in form, not necessarily content) in the dark reaches of his or her mind, which s/he has not yet brought into the light, and is therefore afraid of. It is called a "shadow reaction."

I agree with Alex's statement. Sure Squires is not Hitler, but the term Alex used can be applied to behavior resembling Hitler's behavior in just his way of living, how he dealt with his own people, not just his enemies.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 am

Alex
Indeed this touches on the point I was making - that the 2nd definition above tends to be overshadowed by the 1st (understandably considering the mark it left on the human race). Your post seemed focused solely on the latter definition, with which it's difficult to find dispute.
regards
Ian

p.s. absolutely with the comments about moderators & other personalities on a forum. Setting the tone is vital, but also the ability to recognise how to bring things back on line when there is discord. Promoting discord oneself is the biggest no-no for moderation as it undermines ones credibility to moderate others.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:57 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Alex
Indeed this touches on the point I was making - that the 2nd definition above tends to be overshadowed by the 1st (understandably considering the mark it left on the human race). Your post seemed focused solely on the latter definition, with which it's difficult to find dispute.
regards
Ian

p.s. absolutely with the comments about moderators & other personalities on a forum. Setting the tone is vital, but also the ability to recognise how to bring things back on line when there is discord. Promoting discord oneself is the biggest no-no for moderation as it undermines ones credibility to moderate others.

In a bid to moderately moderate, can we have a consensus that its purpose has now been served, and perhaps let it die gently now, without censorship?
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:45 am

Sorry, Robin, but the unwritten law of wine forums is that every thread that has the word "Parker" in the title must run to at least 500 replies before dying out. :D
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:32 am

ChaimShraga wrote:Sorry, Robin, but the unwritten law of wine forums is that every thread that has the word "Parker" in the title must run to at least 500 replies before dying out. :D

Good point. Is it like someone came up with a way to objectively measure the worth of one's mother, which much of the world ascribed to?

I think I'll read a novel by Robert Parker (the novelist) and post stuff about it, just to desensitize folks to the name.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:55 am

Covert wrote:
ChaimShraga wrote:Sorry, Robin, but the unwritten law of wine forums is that every thread that has the word "Parker" in the title must run to at least 500 replies before dying out. :D

Good point. Is it like someone came up with a way to objectively measure the worth of one's mother, which much of the world ascribed to?

I think I'll read a novel by Robert Parker (the novelist) and post stuff about it, just to desensitize folks to the name.

Maybe Trouble in Paradise?
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Oh, crap, I forgot.

Can we at least hire a choir of Vikings to chant "ParkerParkerParkerParkerParkerParker" until our quota is up?
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Robin....Without commenting on the validity ..or lack of same..re some of the comments in this thread, I agree with what I think you intended in your post above, it is time to pull the plug on this thread, enough is enough, time to move on..Please count this as post #501 and let's call it a day
Jon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 pm

There seems to be an expectation that people should be 'fair' on websites they own.

Nothing of the sort. If I created and own a website I can do whatever damned well please with it, including banning people arbitrarily, deleting posts etc.

Of course if I act unilaterally as well as rudely, it is going to affect the number of people that will want to hang around my site. I suspect that without the Parker name, Mr Squires site would be a much more thinly attended forum. But the point is, that Squires can do whatever he pleases, and you may say he is autocratic, and be right, but you can't say he shouldn't do whatever he pleases - he can, of course.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 pm

I was aalready ctive on Squires' site when it was just Squires' site. It was actually more fun back then because it did not have the Parker association and all the hero worship (and perceived need to protect the right of same) that it has now.

The growth from the Parker association is a blessing and a curse. That's nothing to do with Parker or how Mark administers the site, it's just what happens when something gets that big.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:26 pm

Of course I'm not sure this thread is necesarrily about Parker anymore, about whom I am indiferent. Underlying this thread is the increasing number of regular posters who have seemed to disapeear. Whil I agree with Bill Spohn 100%, I wonder where this board is drifting? Alas, most of us are kept in the dark. :(
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:31 pm

James - times change, people change. Populations on web sites change (they have changed on eBob as well by the way). I do know that JC is having computer issues, as she communicated that with me yesterday. That's all I know.

Nobody is keeping anybody in the dark.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:45 pm

I think most people know what I mean.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:22 pm

No James - what do you mean or mean to insinuate?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:18 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I think most people know what I mean.

Have to admit that I'm in the dark on this as well :?:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:

Have to admit that I'm in the dark on this as well :?:

Me three.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Adding to the fire, not of our thoughts here but to the "Parker question", this time dealing with the ethics of "freebies". On the same DrVino site, posted on 16 April at http://www.drvino.com/

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:43 pm

I think most people know what I mean.

Can you give us a hint?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:51 pm

I find this really ridiculous and a sad example of some people trying to create space to take cheap shots at Parker and other critics to give themselves a lot more hits and views. It comes across as very low and distasteful that people will start sending around private emails or inviting private exchanges before then publishing them all on the web to gather attention (but then again it seems like it's now the trendy thing to do to take as many cheap shots at Squires and Parker as possible). I'm not a huge fan of Parker or Jay Miller's writing/scoring habits (Neal Martin and David Schildknecht are really the only reasons I pay much attention to the Wine Advocate), but I do find the constant attempts to belittle the Advocate absurd.

As far as the ethics of it go, I read the pieces Jay Miller posted re. the Berns dinners and comments from one or two others who attended, and all it came across as was him dining with a few other importers and other wine-geek friends and enjoying a crazy lineup of food and wines. Nothing about free lunches or critics getting paid/bribed.

In terms of freebies, I reckon wine writing would be an incredibly challenging and unprofitable task without that. Given that most critics do cover a lot of fairly high end wines in order to provide comprehensive coverage, I can't imagine every critic out there paying big amounts to buy a bottle of the latest vintage of Grange, Latour or ZH SGN and opening it young. If wine writers are really going to pay for every drop and bit of hospitality they receive, I can imagine some very lopsided P&L charts. From what I understand many either taste the wines with importers, trade events or at the estates themselves and at such events there's invariably some hospitality involved. I don't see how this creates the issue of ethics and conflicts of interest.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:02 pm

James, I honestly think most people have no idea what you are referring to.

You have to be a little broader, I'm afraid.
PreviousNext