The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Natural wines from (this?) universe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Natural wines from (this?) universe

by Saina » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:22 pm

An invitation came into my mail for a fully blind tasting of natural wines from "outside of this universe". Having just been reading Lee Smolin's delightful criticism of string theory, I might not be entirely sure I agree with the physicists who claim that this universe is just one of many, hence I chose a different title - especially as these were practically main-stream wines!

Blind fizz

Our first wine was Jean-Marc Burgaud's Bull'GO ( label ) which is a fizz made from Gamay. IIRC, this was the first and only time it was made (vintage 2007?). I thought it was lovely. It smelled of bread crust and crisp but red toned fruit - an almost Champagne-lookalike. Lovely structure, elegant mousse. This was much fun and I hope J-M Burgaud continues to make it.

Our next fizz was the ever-lovable Jean-Paul Brun FRV 100 ( label ) which is a Gamay of a deep, pink colour. It is only 7,5% abv and naturally sweetish, but the acidity is such that it is wonderfully refreshing. It is more complex and serious in its typical Gamay aromas of earthy, bright red fruit than Brachetto but just as much fun. I could drink bottle after bottle of this stuff!

Blind Whites

The first white was not at all to my taste. The Domaine des Deux Roches (Collovray & Terrier) St.-Veran Vieilles Vignes 2007 ( label ) smelled more of new oak than anything else - but it did have very nice acidity. With so many other wonderful wines on show, I didn't bother to spend much time with this. Not to my taste; everyone else loved it.

The second white, Quinta de Covela Colheita Seleccionada Branco 2006 ( label ) was more to my taste. A blend of Avesso and Chardonnay from Minho, Portugal, it was a hefty 14,5% abv, but that didn't show. It was marked by some oak, but in such well managed amounts that even I enjoyed this wine. Rich, sweet fruit, perfectly adequate acidity, but with such weight and even oiliness on the palate that I was guessing a good Rhône white! Nice wine.

But things went even more to my taste with the unoaked Quinta de Covela Escolha Branco 2007 ( label ) which was a rather unconventional blend of Avesso, Chardonnay and Gewurztraminer. The scent was so grapey that my first reaction was a dry Muscat. Apparently there isn't much Gewurz in the blend, but it is amazing how it can dominate the scent. The palate was delightfully crisp and clean - much more so than any Gewurz I have ever tasted. Nice, uncomplicated, cheerful stuff. I like it.

Sadly, I am not at all certain that our bottle of Jean-Paul Brun's (Terres Dorées) Beaujolais Blanc 2007 ( label ) was in good condition. During transport to the tasting, it was accidentally placed just by the heating in the tram and was apparently very, very hot to the touch. I wouldn't have expected such a short trip to destroy a wine, but this sure was weird! It smelled of strawberry yoghurt and something strangely like toffee (but not as in oaky). Fat, disjointed citrussy acidity. It wasn't undrinkable - in fact it was more pleasant than what my words make it seem. Perhaps off?

Blind Reds

Natural Bordeaux isn't something that one sees very often, so it was fun to have three wines from a well-regarded estate in the Côtes de Bourg. The Ch. Falfas 2006 ( label ) was quite a delight. It did show pure Bordeaux aromas: a mix of dark fruit and red berries, some earth. Not much oak in this, which was nice, but it could still use some time to integrate. It was vibrant, refreshing, had plenty of grip and also plenty of substance. The Ch. Falfas 2005 was very similar in aromas to the 2006 except the oak had fully integrated, and the acidity wasn't quite so bright (still plenty of it for an '05) but the tannins were palate-cleansing and the whole was extremely pleasing. Very pleasant wines (unlike the "special cuvée" that came later...).

Not all wines can please everyone. The Quinta de Covela Colheita Seleccionada 2003 ( label ) was one such. It smelled so strongly of cranberry jam that I was certain this was Chilean Cabernet (except one that doesn't have the usual lashings of new oak). But no, this was a blend of Touriga Nacional, Cab Sauv and Merlot from Minho. Not much to see here.

On the other hand, their unoaked red, the Quinta de Covela Escolha 2005 ( label ) was a great deal of fun. I could see the family resemblance to the '03, but this was much better balanced. It wasn't jammy or over-the-top though it was very ripe and fruity. A rather unconventional blend of Touriga Nacional, Cab Franc, Merlot and Syrah. It's a nice wine, but why such a wacky blend when I am sure Portuguese grapes would have made a wonderful (perhaps better) wine, too?

From VdP du Val de Montferrand we had a Domaine Mas de Martin Cuvée Roi Patriote 2007 ( label ) which was a very enjoyable blend of almost everything that grows in that general direction: Merlot, Cabs Sauv and Franc, Grenache Noir, Syrah and Tannat. It showed a lovely, Southern, sauvage character but with some cooler, lifted elements typical of Bordeaux. Sweet and ripe fruit, lively. It developed some very strange and strong liquorice aromas with air. Nice stuff, but I preferred it soon after open.

To finish the event, we had the premium cuvée from Falfas, the Ch. Falfas Le Chevalier 2006 ( label ). It was much too young, and it smelled only of barrique. I much preferred the "basic" Falfas.

Cleaning up wines - also blind, naturally

Domaine Loew Pinot Noir Westhoffen 2007 was a lovely Alsace Pinot! Doesn't Loew do anything badly? I like their Rieslings, but I also love their wines like Pinots Gris & Noir that usually don't appreciate in Alsace all that much. This was deliciously vegetal, light yet fruity; bright red fruit, ripe but light. Lovely structure to match with some lighter food.

Poggerino Chianti Classico 2004 ( label ) was quite a beefy and dark wine for Chianti. I didn't see a purity of Sangiovese fruit like I do with Podere le Boncie's Le Trame, but it was perfectly drinkable, nonetheless.

A palate-cleansing fizz was welcome, too. Jacques Selosse V.O. Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut ( label ), disgorged in April '07, this was a lovely Champagne in a very weighty style but one that we guessed had plenty more age on it: I was thinking of 1989. A scent of fruit-baskets and old oak, oxidative/appley. Full bodied, elegant mousse, not very high in acidity, but it was perfectly adequate to carry all of that weighty fruit. Big boned Meursault with bubbles.

A fun evening, indeed.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: Natural wines from (this?) universe

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:50 pm

What is the definition of "natural wine" in this context?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:What is the definition of "natural wine" in this context?

-Paul W.

Dusty denim, soil under the fingernails, and a monumental, Old Testament Prophet beard. :mrgreen: :wink:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:What is the definition of "natural wine" in this context?

-Paul W.

Dusty denim, soil under the fingernails, and a monumental, Old Testament Prophet beard. :mrgreen: :wink:

Do you mean, like this?
Courtois.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:24 pm

LOL. Yep. I was actually thinking about the man who made my infamous "peanut butter wine." Scruffier coat by far, bigger beard, no tractors, no electricity, horse-drawn plows-and----perhaps no bacteria control, either???? Can't remember the name.

(Don't get me wrong-Iove the natural wine movement a lot...)> :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Well, it's obvious, innit. Natural wines are not all fake, and artificial, and phony, and contrived and...well, unnatural. Like, say, all those wines we've all been drinking our entire lives. D'oh!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:07 pm

Hoke wrote:Well, it's obvious, innit. Natural wines are not all fake, and artificial, and phony, and contrived and...well, unnatural. Like, say, all those wines we've all been drinking our entire lives. D'oh!

We've been drinking wines made by Monsanto? :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:58 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Hoke wrote:Well, it's obvious, innit. Natural wines are not all fake, and artificial, and phony, and contrived and...well, unnatural. Like, say, all those wines we've all been drinking our entire lives. D'oh!

We've been drinking wines made by Monsanto? :twisted:

And Dow. Don't forget Dow.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 am

ok, but back to the question: what does natural wine mean? if its no sulfites added, count me out.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 am

David Creighton wrote:ok, but back to the question: what does natural wine mean? if its no sulfites added, count me out.

Better than risk a simplistic answer, I would suggest the twenty-year-old but still very current and eloquent Adventures on the Wine Route, by Kermit Lynch, easily found on Amazon. A more recent answer can be found in Robert Camuto's Corkscrewed.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:00 am

Hoke wrote:And Dow. Don't forget Dow.

I'll drink Dow any day, though I prefer Fonseca.....
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:24 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Hoke wrote:And Dow. Don't forget Dow.

I'll drink Dow any day, though I prefer Fonseca.....

Thank you, Bill. For a while I thought the double irony was lost on everyone. :P
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:41 pm

My question was serious. Just what does "natural wine" mean in this context? I can think of lots of possible definitions, but I have no idea what Otto meant when he used the term.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:My question was serious. Just what does "natural wine" mean in this context? I can think of lots of possible definitions, but I have no idea what Otto meant when he used the term.

As used in France (and possibly in much of the rest of Europe) "natural wine" refers to those produced using "native" yeasts from org/bio vineyards with minimal intervention by the winemaker (I'd think that lavish use of new oak cooperage would be a no-no) and little/no sulfites. Exemplars would be folks like the Puzelats, Herve Souhaut, etc. At least, this is my understanding of the term...

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Here is a link to the Vins Naturels site http://www.vinsnaturels.fr/?langue=fr . Unfortunately clicking on the Union Jack does not produce English :!: :?:
Tim York
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:54 pm

Tim York wrote:Here is a link to the Vins Naturels site http://www.vinsnaturels.fr/?langue=fr . Unfortunately clicking on the Union Jack does not produce English :!: :?:

Mayhaps those who created the site consider English "unnatural", Tim. 8)
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:My question was serious. Just what does "natural wine" mean in this context? I can think of lots of possible definitions, but I have no idea what Otto meant when he used the term.

As used in France (and possibly in much of the rest of Europe) "natural wine" refers to those produced using "native" yeasts from org/bio vineyards with minimal intervention by the winemaker (I'd think that lavish use of new oak cooperage would be a no-no) and little/no sulfites. Exemplars would be folks like the Puzelats, Herve Souhaut, etc. At least, this is my understanding of the term...

Thanks Mark, that is a good explanation of how I understand the word to be used. Or Paul, did you mean that some of these wines don't abide by the natural philosophy?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:

Mark Lipton

Minimal intervention could also include little or no fining, filtration, chaptalization, acidulation, etc., all those things done to "correct" nature.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Thanks Mark, that is a good explanation of how I understand the word to be used. Or Paul, did you mean that some of these wines don't abide by the natural philosophy?

No, Otto, merely that I was unaware of both the French term "vins naturels" and of its meaning. I could think of several possible meanings for "natural wine" (the French definition that Mark describes being one of them). I suspected something very like the French definition, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm

someone still owes me an explanation of the 'lavish use of new oak'. this is all so romantic and poetic. one loves to go along with the joke; and laughs without understanding.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 pm

David Creighton wrote:someone still owes me an explanation of the 'lavish use of new oak'. this is all so romantic and poetic. one loves to go along with the joke; and laughs without understanding.

Fermentation in smaller barrels made of new oak imparts extraneous flavors, so tends to be avoided by natural winemakers, whereas larger oak barrels or smaller barrels used several times previously won't add flavors, so would be OK, only allowing the wine to breathe while fermenting (which it doesn't in glass or stainless steel). It's all about the terroir expressing itself through the grape with a minimum of external elements, such as oak.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:49 pm

David Creighton wrote:someone still owes me an explanation of the 'lavish use of new oak'. this is all so romantic and poetic. one loves to go along with the joke; and laughs without understanding.

As a quercophobe myself, David, I could take a more partisan stance and say "overoaked" but I was using more temperate language so put the most positive spin I could on the practice. Make sense? Much as I'd like to take credit for the phrase, a quick Google shows that I'm not alone in my usage of it.

Mark Lipton