The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Agnes and Rene Mosse Anjou Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Agnes and Rene Mosse Anjou Blanc

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:04 am

2007 Agnes and Rene Mosse Anjou Blanc 13.5%
Having enjoyed greatly my first Mosse – a 2007 Arena Savennières – with the help of Paris in February, I picked up a bottle of their Anjou Blanc at Chambers last month. Same vintage, same grape, but very different wine, from different soils (Anjou tends to clay and limestone, Savennières is mostly slate and sandstone). Regulation pale gold. Served too cold, showed very subdued aromas of peach and honey (Marcia got some licorice). Mouth feel is refreshing, a tingly mineral acidity laced with a pleasant halo of bitterness. As it warmed, a hint of oxidative almond nuttiness emerged, making the experience richer at this (low) level of intensity, but suggesting that this should be served closer to room temperature. All in all, I did not enjoy this half as much as its sibling from across the river. This morning, looking at the Mosse website, I see the instruction “serve fresh, not cold.”
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2007 Agnes and Rene Mosse Anjou Blanc

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:49 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Same vintage, same grape, but very different wine, from different soils (Anjou tends to clay and limestone, Savennières is mostly slate and sandstone)...I did not enjoy this half as much as its sibling from across the river.

And in theory Savennieres should also be finer than 'mere' Anjou wine.

Sounds like you're doing some good Loire preparation for the trip :wink:
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds like you're doing some good Loire preparation for the trip :wink:

Indeed! If homework had been this fun in school I'd have won a Nobel by now.

Coming up next is some riskier (in terms of infanticide) stuff, unless those more experienced (like you), tell me any of them would be downright stupid to open right now:

Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux 2006
Filliatreau Saumur-Champigny Grande Vignolle 2006
Breton Bourgueil Clos Sénechal 2006
Chidaine Montlouis Les Choisilles 2005
Chidaine Montlouis Clos Habert 2006
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:30 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Chidaine Montlouis Les Choisilles 2005
Chidaine Montlouis Clos Habert 2006

I don't think it will be stupid but it will be interesting to see how these show.

Nice lineup!