The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Ch Leoville Poyferre '99

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

TN: Ch Leoville Poyferre '99

by John Treder » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Be warned. I am not knowledgeable about Bordeaux. I have 1172 bottles in my spreadsheet that denote reds I have consumed. Six of them are Bordeaux.
I bought this bottle in August 2002 on an expedition to Beltramo's and paid $32.99 less 15% mixed-case discount. I imagine it was in the tantalus boxes at the front of the store, but I don't really remember.
I made beef Stroganoff for dinner Monday night to celebrate a week after Mom got out of the hospital, and decided to Open That Bottle.
Vibrant, lean, long. An aroma that even my nose could appreciate. I'm very happy I have another bottle for another occasion. Helps me understand why Bordeaux is famous.
I almost never have another glass after dinner, but I made and exception for this bottle.
And I finished it this evening with leftover macaroni and cheese, wiener and broccoli. It was fine - plenty of backbone and it was nearly as good as before.
13% alcohol
Bordeaux (what I see in the store anyway) is usually way out of my usual price range; I remember thinking that this was expensive, but cheaper than I expected, and I took a flyer on it. I'm glad I did.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Ch Leoville Poyferre '99

by Jenise » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:14 am

Good purchase, and thank goodness you had the foresight to give it a good long rest. Most 99's are drinking very well right now and it sounds like this is one of them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:19 am

Nice wine, I only have one left. Probably the first vintage of Poyferre moving solidly into modern camp (though it's not the least overdone)
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:37 am

I agree that this is drinking very well right now. I had a bottle a couple of months ago, and I moved my last bottle to my "drink now" rack.

As a matter of fact, for my birthday dinner next month, I suggested we drink some '99 Bords.
Diane
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:47 am

Based on the look, feel and development in the glass of this bottle, I wouldn't be surprised if my other one would hold for several years, but I have no idea whether it might improve.
The color was very dark and youthful - uniform dark velvet right to the edge of the glass. It looked like a high quality Zin (more like Zin than California cab in fact), but the texture was a lot lighter.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:24 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:Based on the look, feel and development in the glass of this bottle, I wouldn't be surprised if my other one would hold for several years, but I have no idea whether it might improve.
The color was very dark and youthful - uniform dark velvet right to the edge of the glass. It looked like a high quality Zin (more like Zin than California cab in fact), but the texture was a lot lighter. John

Welcome to my second favorite pastime, John. I got hooked on Bordeaux so much that I can't deign any other kind of wine (except California Chardonnay, which I sip between Bordeaux swallows, as a source of contrast, which makes the Bordeaux experience better to me).

My '99s have somewhat suddenly picked up wonderful tertiary flavors, which many of them did not have a short time ago. They are probably in their prime, but I won't know for several years. They are certainly very good. '99 is a delicate year, and St.-Juliens take well to delicacy, in my opinion. I can never decide which Bordeaux appellation is my favorite. But St.-Juliens are something like chameleons, or mocking birds. When you sip a Bordeaux blind and can't decide where it comes from, because it sometimes has leather and cedar like a Pauillac, and then tobacco and minerals like Graves, and a touch of perfume and earth like a Margaux, it hits you and you say, Ah yes, it must be a St.-Julien. :)

There are tons of cru Bourgeois that cost less than $20, and even they are better to me than any other kind of wine.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:49 pm

Ok, Covert!

I'm John. I'm a Zinaholic. :twisted:

There's so much good wine in California that I have a hard time going "abroad" for alternatives. I try (HONEST!!??) and then I open another bottle of Zin. Tonight I went out for dinner and had a very good Tempranillo from Monterey County. In fact, it was so good I only remember that it was good. It did taste like tempranillo, though (apologies to Otto) a bit Californicated compared to what I tasted in Spain and Portugal.

Under $20 is my normal range - used to be under $10 but inflation hits us all - and here in the land where they grow tons and tons of the stuff, the purveyors find it more profitable to push the local plonk than the imported plonk. I expect it's as hard for me to find a good cru Bourgeois as it is for you to find a good $15 Zin.

And yes, they aren't the same wine, other than being red.

How much does the taste vary by what you're eating when you drink it? I think I mentioned that I usually drink wine with food.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:
There's so much good wine in California that I have a hard time going "abroad" for alternatives...How much does the taste vary by what you're eating when you drink it? I think I mentioned that I usually drink wine with food.

John, I misinterpreted what you said originally. I had the sense that you liked the Bordeaux better than what you had been drinking. If you like Zin better, then what I said has little meaning.

I really can't say how much a type of wine varies from time to time of drinking, because my memory isn't good enough. But my sense is that it varies a lot with mood and certainly with the type of food I am enjoying. However, I drink 3/4 of a bottle of Bordeaux with my wife prior to beginning dinner. Food often shuts down the taste of the wine somewhat, depending on the type of food. We use a lot of spices with the food we cook. Lamb, which we enjoy every couple of weeks, enhances the wine experience.

I use the term experience rather than taste, because Bordeaux to us is an experience, whereas a type of wine such as Zin offers to us only taste, not an experience.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:42 am

I use the term experience rather than taste, because Bordeaux to us is an experience, whereas a type of wine such as Zin offers to us only taste, not an experience.

Ah yes, there is a difference and not every bottle of wine is an experience. The Leoville Poyferre was an experience.

John
John in the wine county