The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The truth

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: The truth

by Florida Jim » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Whites:

2007 Jermann, Vinnae:
Mostly ribolla gialla with small amounts of tocai and riesling; 12.5% alcohol, screw cap and about $25.
Day one: lemon, mineral and herb aromatics; fairly full in the mouth with flavors that echo the nose, a distinct tang and a tactile sensation that comes up just short of tannin; a quite long and lightly bitter finish. Reminds me a little of greco but without the resinous qualities. Probably a bit closed at the moment but indicative of character, concentration and purity. Exceptional with food.
Day two: pretty much the same – perhaps a little more open but I think this could use a year or two (or more).

2005 Grosset, Riesling Polish Hill:
13% alcohol, under screw cap and about $20, on sale.
This is one of the most powerful dry rieslings I’ve tasted. It has the concentration of a Zind-Humbrecht without the weight. Angular coming out of the bottle and showing very young but it turns fuller and more fruit driven with a creamy texture as it airs – it has plenty of structure, stuffing and acidity. Probably will age longer than I’ll live and be approachable all along the way.

Reds:

2002 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie Cuvée Tardive:
Day one: fairly tannic and closed but showing its depth and concentration; not especially Fleurie-like – more Pommard or something similar. Came alive and truer to its place with lentil stew.
Day two: although somewhat more resolved, a bit duller also. This wine needs time in the bottle; decanting won’t do it.
13% alcohol and about $21 on release.

1994 Penfolds, Grange:
This has been the only bottle of Australian wine in my cellar for over ten years. It is what you’d expect; there’s evidence of American oak on the nose but it seems to have morphed into a cola-like smell; it has chocolate in the flavor profile but not the sweet kind, and it has an extraordinarily silky texture. Rich, plush stuff that is more cocktail style than food style. Even so, not a bad wine and anything that was done to it seems to have softened over 15 years. Others liked it better but I will say that this is not outsized or unbalanced and does have some finesse (probably due to its age). Not my sort but for those who like this style, I suspect you’d be very pleased.

2006 Edmunds St. John, That Old black Magic:
A co-ferment of syrah and grenache, screw-cap, 14.3% alcohol and about $20. Clean, expansive and attractive nose of dark fruit, salted meat, lavender and mineral; beautifully precise and alluring in the mouth with finesse and complexity, flavors that follow the nose adding an iron tone and a personality that is hard to describe but that keeps me coming back; excellent length. This is balanced, shows better than most CdP I’ve tasted recently, gives no indication of its alcohol content, has a distinct individual quality and has all the ear-marks of wine that will age well. So easy to drink and perfect accompaniment to pasta with broccoli, roasted peppers, feta and olives.
(Aside: I think that Steve Edmunds has ||||||(after 25 years in the business) discovered the “truth” of wine; it needs to have an individual character so you can identify it from all the other wines it competes with, it needs to pair well with your dinner, it needs to age well in your cellar, it needs to be a true joy to drink and it needs to be affordable. IMO, no other winemaker currently working in CA delivers these essentials, does so across his entire line of wines and with such consistency. If you have not tried Steve’s wines, I urge you to do so. ‘Cure what ails ya.)

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: The truth

by Salil » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Great notes Jim, although a bit surprised to see you posting on some of the big Aussie heavyweights. Nice to read a good note on Grosset PH - I've had a couple of 'miss' experiences with their Rieslings in the past, although I really should try one of them again some time (or at least a Watervale). For whatever reason I've never enjoyed their wines as much as a lot of my other Aussie Riesling favourites (Mount Langi Ghiran, Granite Hills and Frankland Estate, which also happen to be a fair bit cheaper). But that description of Zind-Humbrecht force minus the weight really does sound appealing!

While I've never had a chance to sit down and enjoy an older Grange (only one I've had is the '02) I do agree with your comment that the style's more a cocktail wine than a food wine - that said, the Penfolds heavyweights are really amazing wines. Not wines I would enjoy having as dinner companions often (especially at the prices Bin 707 and Grange go for), but the sort I'd like to at least sit and admire every now and then over a few glasses. And as far as Edmunds St. John - I really need to get some more of those wines in my cellar.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks for the TN Jim!
Is it the “truth”, or is it more in line with a clear, concise, focused, interesting “message in the bottle”?

Salute
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:45 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
2006 Edmunds St. John, That Old black Magic:
A co-ferment of syrah and grenache, screw-cap, 14.3% alcohol and about $20. Clean, expansive and attractive nose of dark fruit, salted meat, lavender and mineral; beautifully precise and alluring in the mouth with finesse and complexity, flavors that follow the nose adding an iron tone and a personality that is hard to describe but that keeps me coming back; excellent length. This is balanced, shows better than most CdP I’ve tasted recently, gives no indication of its alcohol content, has a distinct individual quality and has all the ear-marks of wine that will age well. So easy to drink and perfect accompaniment to pasta with broccoli, roasted peppers, feta and olives.

It is $20, at least according to the recent mailer Steve sent out. Thanks for the notes on this wine. I've had it twice so far, but both fairly soon after bottling. I think that I'll have to get me some.

(Aside: I think that Steve Edmunds has ||||||(after 25 years in the business) discovered the “truth” of wine; it needs to have an individual character so you can identify it from all the other wines it competes with, it needs to pair well with your dinner, it needs to age well in your cellar, it needs to be a true joy to drink and it needs to be affordable. IMO, no other winemaker currently working in CA delivers these essentials, does so across his entire line of wines and with such consistency. If you have not tried Steve’s wines, I urge you to do so. ‘Cure what ails ya.)

Well, there's also Cowan Cellars to contend with. I hear that the guy making their wines really knows what he's doing, too :P

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:14 am

Oh man - how can I resist opening some Old Black Magic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks for thoughtful notes.
I've generally liked the Grosset Polish Hill, though it's been a while since it was $20 around here.
I'll look for this ESJ.