The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two pinots, Gary Farrell and Robinson

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Two pinots, Gary Farrell and Robinson

by Jenise » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:00 pm

2001 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir, Rochioli-Allen vineyard, Russian River (Sonoma), California
About four months ago a poster on Cellar Tracker gave this wine 87 points and described it thus: It is hard to fault this wine for being what it is ... a lush, oaky California red ... but it seems to lack "true Pinot" character. The fruit is still fresh and tasty with ripe cherry, red licorice and sweet vanilla. The wine was med-bodied and round but like the foresty elements and structure that top Pinot should have. A good wine but not a good Pinot Noir.

Now I believe his second to the last sentence was meant to say "lacked the foresty elements..." vs. "like...", but I actually disagree. At least, the bottle we opened on Sunday to go with baked halibut definitely had the foresty elements and the structure appropriate to its age. It was a good, solid pinot noir at 8 years old and very true to the Farrell style--mauve color and all. Moreover, though I didn't take notes as we drank it, "red licorice" and "vanilla" were not words that anyone at the table used to describe it. They sound like completely different wines. I'm sorry I don't have more bottles.

2005 Robinson Reserve pinot noir, Willamette, Oregon
Very oregonian in the nose with plums, black cherry and violets, but fairly wan and boring on the palate after the splendor of the Gary Farrell, and it had a short, untidy finish. Wouldn't bet on it having much of a future.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two pinots, Gary Farrell and Robinson

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:53 pm

I don't normally go looking for obvious structure in Pinot Noir. Sounds like someone who really likes Cabernet.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I don't normally go looking for obvious structure in Pinot Noir. Sounds like someone who really likes Cabernet.

...or Red Burgundy.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I don't normally go looking for obvious structure in Pinot Noir. Sounds like someone who really likes Cabernet.

...or Red Burgundy.

Young red Burgundy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Young red Burgundy.

David,
Should you ever find yourself in my part of the world, especially if you do before VLM does, I will open for you my last remaining bottle of the '88 de Montille Taillepieds. Perhaps, though, it's just still young? :lol:

Mark Lipton