The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Easter Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

WTN Easter Bordeaux

by MattThr » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:10 am

In these recession hit times I've taken to only opening the good stuff when we have guests. That's partly why I'm posting far fewer WTN's than I used to. But over Easter we had guests, one of whom is a self-confessed Francophile, so I broke out some Bordeaux.

Château du Breuil 2003 Haut-Medoc

The initial smell and taste of this wine was very typical Bordeaux blackcurrant-and-bramble-wood but after it'd got some air it developed some rather curious and unexpected extra flavours. A rather strong note of violet, for instance, as well as a definite sweetness in the form of some chocolate and honeycomb. It was marginally over-tannic and would probably have benefited from being paired with a meal, but was certainly an interesting wine to drink and discuss. 4/5

As an aside, I realised after we'd drunk the bottle that I've had some lovely Calvados from a Chateau of the same name. I have no idea if it's actually the same place or not!

Chateau Orisse du Casse 2001 Saint Emilion Grand Cru

This is very much as you'd expect from the region but clearly lovingly made and with great skill. Blackcurrant fruit is tightly integrated with some well-balanced oak flavours, a little sweet spice being particularly evident. That classic platform is ably supported by a little smoke, a little coffee and, unfortunately, a gamey aftertaste, something I never like to find in a wine. It's well balanced but lacks a little depth and richness. 4/5
Last edited by MattThr on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: [WTN] Easter Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:32 am

Thanks for posting Matt.

And don't shrink at posting on less than "the good stuff." We're all trying to economize these days, so value wine notes are very useful.

Oh and one technical point - if you could use WTN: to preface your notes that would be great. [WTN] won't archive the same way. Thanks.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:27 am

... and indeed this month's wine focus is on finding value in wines!
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

by MattThr » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:And don't shrink at posting on less than "the good stuff." We're all trying to economize these days, so value wine notes are very useful.

Yes, indeed. I do try to put up tasting notes from any good value wines that I thought were particularly interesting or high quality. But I always make a point of writing a note for the more expensive bottles. The way I see it if I pay an average price for an average wine then it's no great loss - but if I've paid more for what turns out to be an average wine I like to ensure other potential purchasers are forewarned.

David M. Bueker wrote:Oh and one technical point - if you could use WTN: to preface your notes that would be great. [WTN] won't archive the same way. Thanks.

No problem.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN Easter Bordeaux

by Tim York » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:42 pm

MattThr wrote:
As an aside, I realised after we'd drunk the bottle that I've had some lovely Calvados from a Chateau of the same name. I have no idea if it's actually the same place or not!

No, the Calvados comes from a Château de Breuil in Normandy located in the lovely Pays d'Auge between Lisieux and Pont l'Evêque (also famous for a cheese of the same name which would be a disastrous match with claret).

It is roughly 600km from Médoc.
Tim York