The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lynch Moussas 1995 and Siran 2000 plus Tokaji and Eiswein

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Lynch Moussas 1995 and Siran 2000 plus Tokaji and Eiswein

by Jay Labrador » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:55 am

Dinner at Lemuria, one of Manila's newest wine savvy restaurants was an occassion to try some recent acquisitions with friends.

Chateau Lynch Moussas Pauillac 1995 - Good claret color although there was some orange showing. A light, easy drinking wine. Quite vibrant and refreshing. A good deal of acid is present and still has a bit of tannin in the finish although it seems to be at its peak now and no more improvement is to be expected.

Chateau Siran Margaux 2000 - Much darker than the Lynch Moussas. Very deep, complex nose with some slight charred wood character. The smoke and ash character carries over into the palate. The fruit has just a slight hint of overripeness. Soft on the mid-palate and medium bodied. Very drinkable now but some hardness on the finish suggests further improvement is likely. Dry, medium-bodied, many-layered wine. Multi-faceted but needs a bit more polishing to be well rounded and integrated-something a bit more time can undoubtedly provide. Very good for me.

Hetszolo Tokaji 6 Puttonyos 1995 - Remarkably fresh tasting with the sweetness nicely balanced by acidity. Honeyed, very easy to drink. No hint of oxidation at all. Very clean wine. Has a lightness not quite consistent with its 6 Puttonyos. Excellent for me.

Fritz Allendorf Riesling Eiswein 1996 - I failed to take note of of the Vineyard and village specifics, unfortunately. This was compliments of the restaurant owners who are good friends. I was rather skeptical when this was poured as it had an old, almost tawny port, kind of color. A taste dispelled any doubts. Exceedingly sweet and thick with a razor-sharp streak of acidity going right through it. Intense, grapey, concentrated. More like a theoretical mix of TBA and Eiswein. Unbelievable stuff and to think that Allendorf isn't even in the top ranks of German producers.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: WTN: Lynch Moussas 1995 and Siran 2000 plus Tokaji and Eiswein

by Covert » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:39 pm

Lynch Moussas is an interesting wine. It acts more like a cru bourgeois than a classed growth, but when it is good, it is really enjoyable. If you haven't, try the 1996. I think it will impress you more than the 1995. The 2003 is almost profound and is drinking well now.