The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Granges

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Granges

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:09 am

2007 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Granges 12.5%
Attractive nose of church incense, green twigs and cloves. Mouth-puckering acidity announces that this is not a sipper and is meant to be drunk with food. When cheese and salad bring the equation into balance, the cherry fruit and the acid shake hands and become friends. From that point on a simple but charming groove establishes itself. A pleasant and classy quaffer, in structure and aromatics much closer to a basic bourgogne than to a meant-to-be-drunk-young bordeaux.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2007 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Granges

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 am

Oswaldo, did you find this Baudry in your local area? I picked up some earlier vintages in London recently but still have access to some `05 here in AB-land!
You did not mention how you thought this wine might age down the stretch!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:00 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Oswaldo, did you find this Baudry in your local area? I picked up some earlier vintages in London recently but still have access to some `05 here in AB-land!

I found it at Chambers Street in NY, my local away from local.

I believe Baudry makes Les Granges for near-term consumption, a "cuvee domaine" for medium-term consumption, and others like Croix Boissee for longer term consumption, so I wasn't paying much attention to the longevity prospects here. But I would hazard that this will be terrific in about three years, stay at a nice plateau for a couple of years after that, then start to decline...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:49 am

Sounds like a leaner version of the usual. I've been drinking 02's, 04's and 05's, which have enough stuffing to be either/or (food wine, but nice for sipping too). Still, one of my favorite $15 wines.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Oswaldo, did you find this Baudry in your local area? I picked up some earlier vintages in London recently but still have access to some `05 here in AB-land!

Don't underestimate the ageing potential of Les Granges. My last bottle of the 2000 was delicious about a year ago. But as Jenise says, it sounds as if the 2007 has less stuffing than usual which is par for course for the vintage; which, i think, should be drunk young.

If you have access to some 05s, Bob, snap them up.
Tim York