The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Romorantin, Vinho Verde, Maria Gomes Espumante

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Romorantin, Vinho Verde, Maria Gomes Espumante

by Keith M » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:36 pm

2007 Pascal Bellier Cour-Cheverny [Romorantin] (Cour-Cheverny AOC, upper Loire Valley, northwestern France) cork closure, 12% - imported to USA by Winewise, Oakland, California – my first Romorantin - appears bright silvery gold, smell nectarine flowers, guava, awesome combination of fruit and meat on nose, taste is stunning introduction, rich but peppery, refreshingly tart, screechingly acidic, but backed up by beautiful fruit, salty, tangy, edgy. Went fabulously with a series of cheeses, with cleansing acidity working fabulously with the fatty and sticky nature of the cheeses. Great match for fatty foods. The acidity is screeching though—though I enjoyed the wine alone, it really needs the proper food match to show its best. Worth the $16 I paid.

2007 Adega de Monção Vinho Verde Muralhas de Monção [blend of Alvarinho and Trajadura] (Monção, Vinho Verde DOC, Minho, northwestern Portugal) cork closure, 12.5% - imported to USA by Aidil Wines & Liquors, Newark, New Jersey – appears pale gold, spritz clingers, smell intense fruit, seashells, vibrant perfume, taste wonderful fizzy zip, spicy, almost smoky, wonderful tart yet fleshy fruit, very direct and tangy, lots of fruit, refreshing yet rusty, what a neat combo, fair match for phat kwaytiow sen lek kap tua dam (tangy rice-stick noodles with vegetables and black-eyed peas), which seemed to be a very comforting and filling dish, but less than the sum of its delicious parts

2007 Luis Pato Espumante Maria Gomes Bruto [95% Maria Gomes, 5% Arinto] (Bairrada, Beiras, Portugal) - mushroom cork with wire cage, 12% - imported to USA by Aidil Wines & Liquors, Olde World Imports, Newark, New Jersey - from 2007 grapes, but not listed as vintage 'to observe the legal norm' – appears pale silver gold, lots of bubbles and fizz, smell screaming out of the glass, herbs, ginger, something floral, something savory, very, very inviting, opens up a bit more complex, mouthfeel very finely tuned and firm, taste gray stone, berry fruit, slight cooked apple, as opens tons and tons of cherry pit, savory delicious, I loved it and it went down very nicely. Perhaps a bit simple, but simply does not get tiring. Fair amount of wine for $16.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Romorantin, Vinho Verde, Maria Gomes Espumante

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Great notes, thanks. They all sound soooo attractive...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:04 pm

I've also enjoyed both of those Portuguese wines - they're great values (the Pato can be had for $11 in Newark!). If you see it around, try the Baga espumante from Pato - pretty interesting use of a tannic red grape. They also make a Touriga Nacional espumnate, which I can't seem to track down.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Joe, I have here in front of me the Baga Vinho Espumante of which you speak! Just need to find the right occassion (wink).
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Joe, I have here in front of me the Baga Vinho Espumante of which you speak! Just need to find the right occassion

Looking forward to your report, Bob--my interest is piqued!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Well I opened the Baga Rosado last weekend after a busy birding festival. No notes but enjoyed by all. Will be picking up some more and will post a better TN, nod wink.