The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Really good ones

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Really good ones

by Florida Jim » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:19 am

Whites:

2004 Dom. Pepière, Muscadet Clos des Briords VV:
Day one: citrus, oyster shell and a hint of pickle juice on the nose; crisp and bright with flavors that follow the nose; some depth, intense; very long. More closed than expected but still good stuff.
Day two: so much better; clean, balanced and precise with crystalline flavors, a somewhat feminine delivery but great length. Falls a heartbeat short of the ’05 Pepière, Granite de Clisson, but just.
$13 on release and 12% alcohol. Hold.

Reds:

2001 Sella, Lessona;
You know how when Robin Hood split the arrow that was already in the bull’s eye? Well, this is that much on target. Precise, detailed, graceful and complex – I have had bottles of this that have shown much less but this one is everything one could ask for. Slightly less clear on day two but still excellent. I bought a bunch of this on sale and I think I will put Astor on my Christmas card list – what a gift.
Drink.

1999 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Albéric Bouvet:
My last 750 (one magnum remains) of a wine that I have probably had more of than any other; there is a little brett here but nothing that puts me off; other than that, the most complete, complex and engaging syrah I’ve ever had. The nose is packed with nuance; in the mouth it is fresh yet has developed secondary character; and the length is a lovely and enduring echo. Fully resolved, balanced, so many different combinations of flavors that it is hard to keep track and still, that elegant, varietal essence of deliciousness that I can only hope that one day I achieve in my own syrahs. I credit Joe Dressner with suggesting one go long on this; I am pleased that I did, and I hope that I find something that comes close in the future. 13% alcohol, about $9 delivered (on sale) and as good a bottle of red wine as I have ever enjoyed. Drink.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Really good ones

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:46 am

"About $9 delivered" should be your epitaph Jim. :D

The Briords sounds like it will only get better. I didn't get any '04 Briords, just Eden (which is not longer made I hear), but did get some '05 Clisson, so it's not all bad. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:43 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:"About $9 delivered" should be your epitaph Jim. :D

The Briords sounds like it will only get better. I didn't get any '04 Briords, just Eden (which is not longer made I hear), but did get some '05 Clisson, so it's not all bad. :wink:

I've got a few '04 Briords, David, so let me know if you're ever in the area. OTOH, I drank my only '05 Clisson way too young, alas. Great collection of wines, Jim! I love all 3 of 'em.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Never tried the Crozes, but glad to own the other two. Nice notes.