The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Transgenic, genetically modified plants near vineyards

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Transgenic, genetically modified plants near vineyards

by ChefJCarey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:34 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Hoke wrote: Monsanto was the company that fabricated it. .

I actually thought Dow was the primary producer.

Back to topic, I'm no GMO advocate. But as noted, it's impossible to prove anything is totally safe.
And the only thing I trust as little as multinational corporations is probably politicians.

We're in lockstep here.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:41 pm

I recall a friend who marched and campaigned against that awful, terrible napalm. Later on, under
circumstances he had never imagined he would be in, he found himself praying for some napalm, and being damned glad to see it when the evil flowers blossomed.

No emotion. Just listing the history and credentials.

Unlike my secretary in Vietnam, half of whose face was permanently and horribly scarred by napalm. Wrong place, wrong time. It was even more of a drag when I had to take her to see her ostensibly injured brother. When we arrived he wasn't in the ward. "Oh," a corpsman said, "I know where he is." He took us around back of the Quonset hut and opened the door on a Conex container. It was about half full of dead bodies. Grabbed a toe tag and said, "Here."

No emotion. Just history.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:57 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:I recall a friend who marched and campaigned against that awful, terrible napalm. Later on, under
circumstances he had never imagined he would be in, he found himself praying for some napalm, and being damned glad to see it when the evil flowers blossomed.

No emotion. Just listing the history and credentials.

Unlike my secretary in Vietnam, half of whose face was permanently and horribly scarred by napalm. Wrong place, wrong time. It was even more of a drag when I had to take her to see her ostensibly injured brother. When we arrived he wasn't in the ward. "Oh," a corpsman said, "I know where he is." He took us around back of the Quonset hut and opened the door on a Conex container. It was about half full of dead bodies. Grabbed a toe tag and said, "Here."

No emotion. Just history.

As I tried to point out, it depends on where you're standing. You know and I know you're not as obtuse as you pretend to be...so why do you bother to pretend? Useless posturing is exactly why we seem unable to have a rational discussion of this topic.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:20 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Hoke wrote: Monsanto was the company that fabricated it. .

I actually thought Dow was the primary producer.

Dow was, but Monsanto had their had in making some, too, along with a third ag chem company. 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T (the active ingredients) are pretty damn good herbicides, too. Just tragic that TCDD came along for the ride.

Mark Lipton
Previous